Author Topic: Temporary shout box.  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Temporary shout box.
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
stopped at HPB here in the south hills today....  I was floored by their crazy inflated prices. I checked a few jazz albums I had some interest in against Discogs, and HPBs price was exactly equal to the highest asking price listed on Discogs for those albums regardless of condition.... walked out empty handed. That's the last time I will ever stop in there for albums.
Clearaudio Performance SEP/Talisman V2 gold,PL XP-15, Onkyo Integra DSP 8.3, Marantz SR6005, KEF Reference 5, KEF Reference 4C,KEF Q900, , Q800, HSU VFT-15H,Emptek DSA250,Krell S1500 #2 Marantz SR6007,  McIntosh1501, KEF Q600, Sunfire NHTsuper1s, Technics 1200 MkII/ Shure V15 xMR, dbx DX5 ,Jolida JD

Offline EmperorNorton

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:18 AM »
I stop by there occasionally but other than Japanese reissue Jazz Messengers LP, never had luck finding any real deals.  I'd assume during the coupon sale week, pickings are even slimmer.  Not surprised at the pricing but assuming they don't sell the top priced records very quickly.  In the end, it's business and they'd probably consider offers.  Never hurts to ask.
Yamaha PF800/Dual 721
DBX D5/Sony CA8ES
Yamaha C-2X
Hafler Five Hundred/Sansui AU9500/Heathkit SA-2
Canton CT800s/Vandersteen 2CE/Klipsch Heresy

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »
I just got back from HPB.   I picked up the latest First Aid Kit album for $12 with my 40% off, and had them hold the recent reissue of U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind (originally on vinyl only in Europe).   At half off that one will be $12.50.

They have a sealed copy of the 200 gram Discipline Global reissue of King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King for $25, so it will be an absolute steal at $12.50.   That's the one that Fripp rejected like a dozen stampers before he finally approved one.   If I hadn't picked it up two years ago I would have been all over it.   That pressing smokes any original Atlantic that I have heard, and I usually favor first pressings.   They really got that one right.   If you don't have it, you should go get it tomorrow.

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »
That King Crimson is a steal and like you said the best press to get. Not going to Monroeville to get it though!

I second Jimís opinion of the Bethel store. I need to go to Home Depot tomorrow, so I feel obligated to go. Hopefully they have a newer release to grab,  it lately they e been very thin on that front. All Doxy and other EU garbage.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2018, 10:58:39 PM »
Monroeville was much more Doxy heavy than it has been in the past, but I still managed to find a couple.   Does anyone here know about "Vinyl Vault" records?   There was a Who Isle of Wight three album set.   I was wishing I knew if it was any good.   Discogs says they are part of "Not Now Music" which I also don't know anything about but their website seems legit.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2018, 12:21:57 AM »
anyone know if we are ever going to get our regular shout box back? I'd be glad to donate if it is a matter of cost.

Clearaudio Performance SEP/Talisman V2 gold,PL XP-15, Onkyo Integra DSP 8.3, Marantz SR6005, KEF Reference 5, KEF Reference 4C,KEF Q900, , Q800, HSU VFT-15H,Emptek DSA250,Krell S1500 #2 Marantz SR6007,  McIntosh1501, KEF Q600, Sunfire NHTsuper1s, Technics 1200 MkII/ Shure V15 xMR, dbx DX5 ,Jolida JD

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »
Monroeville was much more Doxy heavy than it has been in the past, but I still managed to find a couple.   Does anyone here know about "Vinyl Vault" records?   There was a Who Isle of Wight three album set.   I was wishing I knew if it was any good.   Discogs says they are part of "Not Now Music" which I also don't know anything about but their website seems legit.

One user on Hoffman says the blue vinyl from vinyl vault is horrible. I donít have any experience with that label. The few new Who records I have are all lacking in quality.

I went to HPB this morning and the only thing I could find was Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »

One user on Hoffman says the blue vinyl from vinyl vault is horrible. I donít have any experience with that label. The few new Who records I have are all lacking in quality.

I went to HPB this morning and the only thing I could find was Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.

I dug his set at Farm Aid last year.   Did you ever watch it?

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
Yes, a few tunes. His energy was awasome, so I figured Iíd try the album. Finished the new basement floor, had plans to get everything setup so I could spins a few sides tonight. The MFing rain came in again.  Not as bad as the last time, but a couple hours of trying to find the leak and still havenít setup the speakers. I need some loud angry music tapering off to something mind numbing.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
I need some loud angry music tapering off to something mind numbing.
I'll be right over with my MC5 and my wife's Barry Manilow.    ;D

Offline EmperorNorton

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2018, 07:05:45 AM »
Yes, a few tunes. His energy was awasome, so I figured Iíd try the album. Finished the new basement floor, had plans to get everything setup so I could spins a few sides tonight. The MFing rain came in again.  Not as bad as the last time, but a couple hours of trying to find the leak and still havenít setup the speakers. I need some loud angry music tapering off to something mind numbing.

Sorry to hear the news about more water.  Are you considering a permanent fix, such as French drain/trench around the house?   In order to sell our previous house, we had French drains installed under the basement floor.  Getting a good price for a house with a water issue is tough.   

Of course, after we did it, we thought "Why did we live with it like that so long and then fix it for the next couple moving in???"
Yamaha PF800/Dual 721
DBX D5/Sony CA8ES
Yamaha C-2X
Hafler Five Hundred/Sansui AU9500/Heathkit SA-2
Canton CT800s/Vandersteen 2CE/Klipsch Heresy

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »
Sorry to hear the news about more water.  Are you considering a permanent fix, such as French drain/trench around the house?   In order to sell our previous house, we had French drains installed under the basement floor.  Getting a good price for a house with a water issue is tough.   

Of course, after we did it, we thought "Why did we live with it like that so long and then fix it for the next couple moving in???"

10 years and never had a drop of water come in, got a new driveway last fall...4 times the water has come in. Sometimes a puddle, twice a stream. I'm working on a theory that when they replaced the storm drain pipe under the driveway they didn't fix it correctly. Once I find the point of entry, then I can hopefully fix it.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2018, 09:48:46 PM »
anyone know if we are ever going to get our regular shout box back? I'd be glad to donate if it is a matter of cost.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2018, 12:26:12 AM »
Truthfully I kind of prefer this thread.   At least stuff doesn't disappear in a week.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2018, 12:30:30 AM »
Just got back from the "Wheels of Soul" show.   Marcus King Band were smokin' but their setlist was (by necessity I suppose) too short.   Only about a half hour.   Drive By Truckers seem to me to have lost a step.   They were good, but not as good as I had hoped.   Tedeschi/Trucks band were great.   They didn't play one song that I was hoping for, but they played a few that I never saw coming and thoroughly enjoyed.   Highlights for me were a couple of covers.   Taj Mahal's "Chevrolet" and Leon Russell "A Song for You".   Really enjoyed it.