Author Topic: Temporary shout box.  (Read 10411 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Temporary shout box.
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »
I heard the name Black Moth Super Rainbow and had to youtube it, this was the 1st comment:

"I ordered the pre-release of the vinyl album and when I first played it, I was thinking to myself.. Wow.. this album is deep, very slow, and euphoric. I was totally digging it and listened to the whole thing. Finally, "Mr. No One" comes on at the end and it was the only song that I recognized because it was the only one that I found leaked prior to the release of the album. I thought to myself, "WOW they made a slowed down version for the album!!.. This is amazing!".... Then I looked at my record player and saw the button for 33rpm/45rpm and I was like sshiiiiiiiiiiittt... now I have A SECOND ALBUM TO LISTEN TO!!!!! LOL"

This has happened to me a few times and a friend has been a victim multiple times. Congress should pass a law that any 12" that is not 33 1/3 should have a clear, distinct 45RPM on the cover. I'm calling Tipper Gore.

Dolly Parton turned into Ray LaMontagne, and it is AMAZING.   It shows how great she is and how on point the band was.   This is before MIDI or Autotune, of course.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2018, 12:02:01 AM »
screw it

Go to YouTube and search "Dolly Parton Jolene slowed down"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:08:07 AM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
I think I can do better with $1000 regarding stereo components...  :)

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/d/samsung-giga-speakers/6638908221.html
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »
Rumor has it that they actually sound pretty good (no first hand experience) but that is about double a reasonable asking price for local sale.

Offline RocknRoll

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2018, 02:54:38 PM »
Had a great time checking out Get Hip records the other day.  Fun store for rock/garage/psych/ect.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:58:31 PM by RocknRoll »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
Where is Get Hip Records?

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2018, 11:43:30 PM »
Down on the North Shore, a bit further past the stadiums. I havenít been to the store yet, I visited before they set it up. Nice people who love music. They had shelves and shelves of brand new records. At the time they were selling on Discogs, but would allow you to come pick up your order and browse. I need to go check out the store sometime soon.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
I planned to stop there last record store day but think they weren't open for a few more hours.  Will have to remember next time I'm heading to Phils TV.

In other news, I picked up very nice copies of "Miles in the Sky" and "Nefertiti"yesterday.  First pressings, I believe, for a tenner. I don't have much of the Second Classic Quartet on vinyl, so that was nice.

Yamaha PF800/Dual 721
DBX D5/Sony CA8ES
Yamaha C-2X
Hafler Five Hundred/Sansui AU9500/Heathkit SA-2/Parasound HC-1000
Canton CT800s/Vandersteen 2CE/Klipsch Heresy/Dahlquist DQ-10

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2018, 01:28:15 PM »
I planned to stop there last record store day but think they weren't open for a few more hours.  Will have to remember next time I'm heading to Phils TV.

In other news, I picked up very nice copies of "Miles in the Sky" and "Nefertiti"yesterday.  First pressings, I believe, for a tenner. I don't have much of the Second Classic Quartet on vinyl, so that was nice.

Very nice.   Did those come from a shop or a collector?

Offline EmperorNorton

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »
Not from a shop.  Just a private citizen, not what I would call a collector, at least of vinyl.  Just a lucky day.
Yamaha PF800/Dual 721
DBX D5/Sony CA8ES
Yamaha C-2X
Hafler Five Hundred/Sansui AU9500/Heathkit SA-2/Parasound HC-1000
Canton CT800s/Vandersteen 2CE/Klipsch Heresy/Dahlquist DQ-10

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »
If anyone here is looking for really clean but not spectacularly collectible classical or opera vinyl, Carl and I met someone tonight who has about a thousand pieces she is looking to get rid of.   We each took a few, but it hardly scratched the surface of what she has on hand.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2018, 07:59:03 PM »
HANDSHAKE ISSUES!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
It's a bad input on the Refurb Onkyo.   Since the Blu-Ray was working correctly, I decided to just move that cable from the back of the BluRay to the back of the cable box.   That worked perfectly.   So I then thought that perhaps both of the cables I had been using were bad.   So after that worked for a half hour, I moved the working cable box cable from the Blu-Ray input to the cable input, and it immediately started glitching again.

I had heard from everyone (including a few people here) that Accessories4Less was a great company, but this went exactly how I feared buying a refurb would.   Now to see how great they are about taking care of it.

Offline OldiesButGoodies

• Administrator
  • Be nice, it is free!
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »
It's a bad input on the Refurb Onkyo.   Since the Blu-Ray was working correctly, I decided to just move that cable from the back of the BluRay to the back of the cable box.   That worked perfectly.   So I then thought that perhaps both of the cables I had been using were bad.   So after that worked for a half hour, I moved the working cable box cable from the Blu-Ray input to the cable input, and it immediately started glitching again.

I had heard from everyone (including a few people here) that Accessories4Less was a great company, but this went exactly how I feared buying a refurb would.   Now to see how great they are about taking care of it.

Sorry for the bad experience Mark, it is not fun when that happens.  The problem is also that nowadays Onkyo's A stock is B stock quality, so you are really buying C stock  :(.

Spkr: Harbeth 30.1 on Sound Anchor stands
Pre: Rogue 99 Super Magnum
Power:  Rogue Stereo 90
Phono: VPI Aries 1,  Van de Hul Frog
CD: Oppo 203
Sub: <none, and that's ok>

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »
It sounds wonderful.   It's doing exactly what I had hoped it would do, giving the Rock Solids that bit of top end sparkle that was missing.   It sounds better than the Denon it's replacing, which is almost too bad because if it didn't I'd just tell them to cram it.