Author Topic: Temporary shout box.  (Read 123021 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Guru
  • got mule?
Re: Temporary shout box.
« Reply #840 on: February 13, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
Amazon is running a buy 3, pay for 2 deal. 15 pages of vinyl and it took me 4-5 times through the list to find three.

I had heard there were a bunch of Blue Note albums.   Maybe they sold out or maybe you aren't into jazz.   I deliberately didn't look because I've been spending too much money.

I gave up trying to get into jazz, just not my thing. There were lots of Coltrane and Miles, don't recall if they were Blue Note or not.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #841 on: February 13, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »
The sale starts on the 21st. Bring a few $K

I didn't even notice that it was next Friday.   Thanks for that, maybe I will be able to attend.   I'm sure I don't need any "k".   I suspect I can make the stop worth my while with a "c" or so of records.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #842 on: February 13, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »
I am sure there will be several folks or more in line several hours prior.

And Anubis/Athena price high-ish.   Crazy stuff there though.
Technics SL-1350
Sony CA8ES
Primaluna Dialogue Two
Klipsch Heresy

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #843 on: February 13, 2020, 06:32:32 PM »

I wondered about that.   Where will they line up?   In the street?   In the hallway to the apt. door?   Seems like they should have instituted a lottery or something, those secure downtown apartments don't play.

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #844 on: February 13, 2020, 06:34:29 PM »
I work downtown, might just saunter over.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #845 on: February 14, 2020, 04:24:11 PM »

I wondered about that.   Where will they line up?   In the street?   In the hallway to the apt. door?   Seems like they should have instituted a lottery or something, those secure downtown apartments don't play.
If I was the estate sale folks, I would have done the  online estate auction thing.   People can get silly with those kinds of items.  Have no idea how it's going to go but all the usual suspects will be there.
Technics SL-1350
Sony CA8ES
Primaluna Dialogue Two
Klipsch Heresy

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #846 on: February 17, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
Nice article about Galaxy Electronics and Vince on page two.

https://pge.post-gazette.com/pf3/?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, Tandberg 10X

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #847 on: February 17, 2020, 11:36:43 AM »
Nice article about Galaxy Electronics and Vince on page two.

https://pge.post-gazette.com/pf3/?

Blocked

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Guru
  • got mule?
« Reply #848 on: February 17, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
PG uses a pay wall. Use a ladder to get over it, delete the pg.com cookie and you can read two? articles.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #849 on: February 17, 2020, 09:59:19 PM »
Here is the article-no pics:

Both guys liked things that go round and round. But when the two friends parted ways as business partners 47 years ago, one landed a job with the Hubble Space Telescope, which goes round and round 340 miles above Earth, while the other continued making sure that record albums continue rotating 33⅓, 45 and 78 rpm on turntables.

Today we’re focused on Vince Bomba, 63, of Mt. Lebanon, who still repairs turntables at Galaxie Electronics in Squirrel Hill, a Murray Avenue business that shares a second floor with Jerry’s Records (which sells the vinyl albums that Vince’s turntables play.)
Walk up those steps and — Biff! Ping! Bam! — you’re in a time warp.
Nowadays most turntable repairmen are fossils. From 1990 until 2007, turntables teetered on the brink of technological extinction that claimed cassettes, manual typewriters and pay phones. But just like Alec Baldwin, vinyl has a knack for resurrection. 
The reason: LPs provide warmer acoustics than CDs and digital. Today the analog vs. digital debate can be as sprightly as MSNBC vs. FOX News. OK, maybe not.
But all along, Vince — testament to the longevity of vinyl technology — has been stalwart in repairing the electronic hardware necessary to prevent an epilogue to analog. 
For the clueless, you must place a vinyl record on a turntable, then drop a cartridge bearing a diamond-tipped needle onto it. Friction of the diamond dragging through the vinyl groove produces Best Generation and Baby Boomer music of amazing quality, considering the washboard physics. That is, if you can forgive the blips, buzz, skips and pops caused by dust, warping, scratches and erosion.
Somehow Galaxie Electronics, named after Vince’s beloved Ford Galaxie that he stills owns, remains in business, despite persistent claims that turntables were going the way of buggy whips and moderate politicians. In his shop he has 7,000 needle cartridges, different-sized turntable belts and electronic parts no longer produced that he’s salvaged and hoarded with devotion to keeping turntables spinning and “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” playing.
Every few years, he answers reporters’ tired inquiries about how long he can make a living recycling turntables. The “Turntable Doctor,” as he’s known, says he’s still there, even if business is spinning at 33⅓ rather than 78.  
Every time there are threats to pull the plug on turntables, vinyl miraculously gets resuscitated. 
Jukeboxes for game rooms were one example. More recently, people are restoring their parents’ or grandparents’ stereo consoles, given their triple advantage as antiques, conversation pieces and producers of deep, cuddly, warm sound. Old speakers and amplifiers equipped with vacuum tubes are the current rage.
Deejays still use turntables, often two at a time, with vinyl albums necessary for the “scratching” technique common in hip hop and dance music. Vince has several DJ turntables awaiting repair. 
Now comes word from the Recording Industry Association of America that sales of vinyl records, which continue increasing, soon could exceed those of compact discs, whose sales continue falling, with streaming (iPhones and iPods) clearly reigning as king of song.   
In a 2013 Post-Gazette story, Vince said the turntable trade at times left little money for food and to pay rent and bills. His wife Sue once dropped their health insurance coverage during a turntable drought.
“We're still constantly worried about that,” he said. “We still don't know what's going to come in those doors from day to day. Right now, it's a little slow, but I have enough work to keep us going.”
Today, he has a backlog of repairs and numerous turntables stacked in storage and awaiting repair and adoption. But business ain’t a-boomin’.
“Five years ago there was a trending boom in analog but it now has plateaued,” he said, even though “a lot of musicians want nothing but analog.”
Vince hopes that vinyl will persist three to five more years so he can reach retirement. 
During my visit, several customers came through the door, made purchases and all but proclaimed Vince as a god, including a father and his 13-year-old daughter, who professed co-loyalty to vinyl.
For his fans, Vince continues hunting down parts or having them custom-made, all while keeping current on new turntable technology. 
One thing was clear: People like Vince are vital to vinyl’s revival and survival. For turntables and vinyl — as with life, space telescopes and the planet itself — it’s an absolute necessity that things keep going round and round.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, Tandberg 10X

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #850 on: February 21, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »
I went to the estate sale on Liberty  Very cold day and the prices were worse   They had the Gold Lion KT88s from Upscale audio prices at $200 each  I told Anubis they were $60 each online so he graciously dropped the price to $50.  I talked him down  little more and bought 4 along with first pressings of Ascension(Coltrane  mono) Contours  (Sam Rivers) Criss Cross (Monk - mono) Spring(Anthony Williams) and Tonights the Night (Neil Young)

Each record as priced individually.  I saw the Record Store Day Dolphy priced at $15 more than I paid Bull Moose and they shipped it to my door!!!!

They were asking 2395 for the Thorens.It didn't sell while I was there.
Technics SL-1350
Sony CA8ES
Primaluna Dialogue Two
Klipsch Heresy

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #851 on: February 21, 2020, 10:44:26 PM »
Listed as "collector grade records" I wonder how they will be priced.   

That's what I expected.   Were the records moving at all?   Maybe they will be open to negotiation at the end of the day tomorrow.