Author Topic: TV bias lights?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
TV bias lights?
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:58:05 AM »
Anyone added bias lights behind their tv? If you have, is it worth it? I recently picked up some LED strip lights to use for a couple projects and I've got some left over. We've had our 70" tv a few years now and it's either coincidence or it's burning my eyeballs to bits to the point I need new glasses every year. I watch tv at night with the lights out, watching hockey is like staring at a light bulb for 3 hours.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: TV bias lights?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:40:59 PM »
I've never tried the backlighting, but perhaps you may want to turn down the brightness/contrast.   That will make your set last longer as well.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:35:51 PM »
Scorpio,

I tube TV times, it was suggested by the video Gurus that a backlight be placed behind the video monitor to ease eyestrain.  There was a specific color, or temperature of light recommended, but I don't recall what it was.  It seems like that is what you are considering.

In our main TV room, we have small ceiling can lights bath the wall behind the TV.  In the bedroom, we have no back lighting and it sometimes causes my eyes to water.

Why not give it a try-it can't hurt.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:34:22 PM »
I think I have the internal backlight 90% off, otherwise it's too much. I've got most settings turned way down, which isn't always optimum. I plan to try it out, just wish I would have tried before the tv got mounted to the wall. We'll see how it goes.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
After some experimenting I've found bias lighting is NOT for me. The LED lights, even on a dimmer, are just too harsh and bright. Instead I've settled on placing some LED candles on top of speakers and on shelf above the tv. They add just enough soft glow vs no lights at all. 

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:37:39 PM »
I know what you mean about LEDs.  My ceiling cans are quartz incandescent.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77