Author Topic: JM Labs Cobalt 826  (Read 19435 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
JM Labs Cobalt 826
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:14:47 PM »
So, I've been requested to review these speakers by a couple of forum members, and I figure it's time to oblige.

I've shut off the subwoofer and I am using a borrowed amp (sonance 60w x 2) so my review may change once I get my main amp back. The rest of the gear involves an unmodded Oppo BDP-83, B&K AVP-2000 and a pair of $100 Monster Cable speaker wires which are absolutely nothing special.

These speakers are smooth. They are very fluid. There is nothing overly pronounced about them.
I am listening to a Tears For Fears Cd which is very well recorded and all of the guitar, bass and drums just flow at the level I'm listening.
One thing that's exceptional about these is the soundstage they set. I think it has alot to do with the inverted dome tweeters. I think with that design (thank you EPI) it's easier to spread the sound without cancellation. To me it gives some real depth to the sound and it's easy to point out the instrument's locale.
Vocals and midrange instuments come in ultra real. Right now on the cd there is a ton of middy B3 organ, and it sounds spectacular. That really helps the drums too. All percussion (at least on this recording) seem to have a great, realistic whap! to them.
The design of these speakers makes them a great participant in the "make honey happy" club.

Here's the bad:

They SHOULD NOT be valued at what they are. These are fantastic sounding speakers, don't get me wrong, but they are NOT as good as their dollar figure would anticipate.
They almost completely lack deep bass. Without a sub you are SOL! They will produce some bass, but nothing that you would expect from a speaker that recently cost $2500.
They should be waayyyy more reaching in their top end response. Although the highs sound spectacular out of these things, it's not as detailed as I would like;And my expectations aren't that high.

Bottom line... I think these should fetch no more than $1300 new. Above that, I think their competition would eat them alive. They are fantastic speakers that beat the piss out of my B&W DM 640s, but they can't hold a candle to my 30 year old McIntosh XR 16s.

This is just my opinion.
If you disagree kiss my ass  :P
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: JM Labs Cobalt 826
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »
Post some pics!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:16:54 AM »

HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »
Excellent review Ed.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:48:25 AM »
Thank you MB for making the pics happen

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:06:25 AM »
Very cool.  At what point did they change the brand name to Focal?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
I think Focal and JM labs are one in the same.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »
So I was playing a cd in the Living Room (where the Focals reside) and doing some bullshitting with my wife when I noticed something strange....
No this is not a joke...
We were listening to ben harper's both sides of the gun when I realized I had never heard this cd sound so lifeless. All of the components were there, but they just didn't add up to a musical experience.
So I said, " f**k this," and put it on the stereo in the next room. We both sighed a sigh of relief when we realized we hadn't forgotten what music sounds like.
The moral of this story? If you come across McIntosh speakers, buy them. If you come across Focal speakers, compare with cerwin vega before you buy!
Bottom line:
I have never been more disappointed in a pair of speakers in my life!!!!
Jesus Christ... I thought these things were supposed to be good. Any knucklehead who spent retail on these should hang himself by the wires he hooked them up with.... BLLLAAAAGHHHH.  I'll be unloading these well built boxes as soon as I can!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:28:59 PM by Shape-shifter »

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
Remember what amp you are using!!!!!!   Wait till you pick up your Bryston, it sounds great and will be a HUGE improvement!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »
The amp would have to be a miracle worker!!! Absolutely horrible!!! They are bad Mike!! that's why I wanted you to take a week with them. I really want someone to prove me wrong. I had really high expectations of these!!
oh well
win some lose some

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »
put them on ebay.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
JEEEZ!  I am so glad that others have found these speakers not as good as reputed.  I thought my ears were failing me. 

Ed, I still have the manuals, you should get them prior to sale.  I have misplace the foam bung, though, I cannot see how anyone would want to cut the bass response of these.  I will look for it today.

Thought you all might like to see some pics of my old sansui. 
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »
Gorgeous!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »
Sansui G-Series Rocks!!!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!