Author Topic: Paradigm Crossover RE-Build  (Read 4503 times)

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
Paradigm Crossover RE-Build
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:44:53 AM »
Well, my wife went and blew the crossovers (and apparently the woofers) in my Paradigm 5seMKIII's a month or so ago.  Well I finally got around to ordering parts and setting time aside to recap the darn things.  I have some pictures I will try to post, they may be huge, but I tried to get some close ups. 

I think I may have pushed the limits, but I ended up replacing the cheap-o- electrolytic caps with some Dayton poly caps.  Talk about squeezing 10lbs of sh*** in a 5 lb can!!   Anyway, after rebuilding and hooking back up, I discovered the woof's are bad too.  (I hooked up a spare 5 1/2" for my SDA's in place of the 8" and, worked like a charm.  (May have been the woof's all along, I forgot to check, but it did give me the excuse to upgrade the crossovers  ;D ;D)

Anyhow, now I am on the search for a pair of 8" Paradigm woofers.  Most likely will switch to something more current.  Not sure which ones to get yet.  Been checking out online, but so many freaking choices.  Trying to match performance AND size is a bitch!

Anyhow, I am going to post pics separate so you can see the difference.  I am pretty happy with my work, for the novice that I consider myself to be (at least compared to most of you!)
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline icravcarver

Re: Paradigm Crossover RE-Build
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:01:14 AM »
Here is the before Pics:
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:02:25 AM »
Crossovers after rebuild:

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »
I just wanted to update this thread.  I finally finished putting in new Peerless silk dome tweeters and I ended up using Dayton metallized woofers.  Have them on the HT setup, and they sound pretty good.  Just have to wait and see how they sound when they break in.  I probably only have about 20 hours on them so far.  I know it will take a few hundred to get those capacitors broken in.  I did some 2 channel listening on them (with the HT receiver, which is not the best in my entire line up, but it sounded pretty good also for 2 channel)!

I will post pics of the speakers with the metallized woofers soon.  Not as nice as the white Paradigm woofers, but they function very well.  I will keep my eyes open for some 8" Paradigm woofers when I get some extra scratch!  Not a high priority yet.

Neil