Author Topic: Sorbothane  (Read 4654 times)

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
Sorbothane
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:12:52 PM »
Maybe I posted this before -  ;D

Sorbothane is not a joke.
I first came on it as a foot racer.
Every mile, your foot hits the ground over a thousand times with your body weight pounding.
It is too heavy to race with, but to win you need to train.

You can buy that stuff now on ebay in sheets.
There is no need to pay more for fancy feet or a sub that walks away.

This stuff is real - try it.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: Sorbothane
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:46:03 AM »
Sorbothane is good stuff, I use it everywhere.  CD player feet, speaker feet, in thin sheets for vibration damping inside CD players, on the backs of woofer baskets it is great, inside speaker cabinets.  Love the stuff..  I once had a turntable mat made of sorbothane, still looking for another one, or platter matter, anybody have some?

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »
Other than the fact that it attracts dust/dirt like a magnet and it stains whatever it comes in contact with, it does do an excellent job of absorbing vibrations from transfering from a rack or table to your gear when used as feet.

It is not designed for use inside CD players or on speaker baskets, Dynamat Extreme is much better suited for that. Nor is it designed for the interior of speaker cabinets. There are other purpose made products for that, such as Blackhole 5. It's not designed to use under speakers either. Spikes are your friend for that.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »
Two words: Lead bitumen.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
It may not be designed for it, by I have used it with great success for many years...  Try it, and see for yourself.   It is called a tweak.  When I started Tweaking with sorbothane, most of the stuff you mentioned was not even available.
  I have used it under my speakers on a hard surface for probably 20 years... Ever since the Audioquest Big Feet came out.

Its called a tweak, you may like the results, you may not..  I don't care either way.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
I have used it, that's why I said what I said and it is not a suitable tweak for most of what you use it for. Have you tried the more appropriate tweaks?
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »
Yes.   It works for me, and it can be found cheap.  I much prefer thin sheets of sorbothane over dynamat..  To each his own.  I have not tried the Blackhole 5, never heard of it. But I will look into it.

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
A guy over on the Carver site makes risers with these.
I have some and they are nice.
He uses felt stuck to the sorbo.   http://avrisers.com/default.aspx
They look and work great.

You can also buy sheets on ebay and Amazon.  I just got in a couple 1/2 sheets.
I found a new/used turntable and built an audio rack for it.
On top is a slab of granite to hold the TT and under that will go the Sorbo.
I am waiting on the TT.

Sorbo turns vibration energy into heat energy.
It works just excellent.
It is slightly sticky and might attract dust, but cut to fit between two hard surfaces, not a problem.

For inside things to deaden sound, I would suspect something like Dynamat would work better and be a lot cheaper, but I don't know.  ;D