Author Topic: Cartridge alignment  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Cartridge alignment
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »
I've got a Grado F1 on a Technics SL1200 that I would like to have aligned properly. I've done the print out alignment tool, but I am getting an uncomfortable amount of sibilance on the inner grooves. I know there is a alignment tool for Technics TTs, but to be honest I just don't think it will be good enough or any better than the print out. It's not just the old records that are doing it. I just picked a brand new Decemberists on 180 gram and it's doing it there as well. The needle is in great shape too. It was NOS when I bought it and I've put maybe 50 hrs on it. I'm hoping there is someone on here local to Pittsburgh that has the knowhow and ability to give my TT a "proper" alignment. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ed
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:54:09 PM by Shape-shifter »
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

Re: Cartridge alignment
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »
I mean, I calculated the best average angle of the front of the cartridge so that it is positioned tangentially with respect to the arc of the arm across the playable disk surface...

I will warn you, Grado cartridges are sibilant, at least in my experiences tinkering with them. It's minimized at best, but, I'm yet to make it vanish on my Yammie or any other table that I've owned.

Also, I don't know if the 1200 arm is low or high mass. Do you know the compliance of the cartridge? If it's a lower compliance cartridge, you want a higher mass arm, and vice versa. I don't know anything about the older Grados, all I have for you is general info.

Good luck Ed!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »
I really have no idea of the mass. I "think" I remember the cart is supposed to be between 1.25 and 1.75G and I'm running at 1.5. I tinkered for about an hour and I am pretty well certain I have it sounding as good as I am capable. I should clarify that the sibilance is on higher output records. I'm turning some mellow jazz right now and it sounds fabulous. Maybe it is the cart or a maybe the cart hates the TT? IDK. Thanks for your input though SD.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Anders

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
Somewhere I have some cartridge alignment protractors that I used to use when I put cartridges on customers turntables.

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
Technics Arc protractor can be found here, along with enough other alignment & compliance data to fry the brain of a Noble mathematics prize winner.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
Here is some info on inner groove distortion.
It may not be an issue with your alignment.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26475
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
Interesting... I really hope it's not just something I have to "deal with". The needle I am using is a pretty good tracker. I'm hoping by getting it properly aligned I will eliminate at least most of the distortion.

Anders, let me know if you find your alignment tools and I will bring the table to the shop whenever you have time to align it for me.

Ed