Author Topic: Martin Logans - Opinions  (Read 6963 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Martin Logans - Opinions
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
All:

I am using a pair of Mirage 890is in my stereo listening room and I am very happy with them, though as you know one is always looking for that next upgrade that will magically project a holographic image of Nora Jones and...  well you get what I am saying.  I also want to try electrostatics since I have never owned them before, so I thought of getting a pair of Martin Logan EM-ESL:

http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/index.php

Also considering an old pair of ML Scripts or Ascents. 

So the question is this -

This is an expensive upgrade (specially for a tightwad like me), so - do you think it is worth it?  Why are MLs rarely mentioned here?  Are there cheaper options? I thought of Magnepan,  but the panels are way to big for my room.  A pair of  MMGs would work I guess - never tied those.

This would be much easier if the Mirages were not so darn good*. 

OBG

*So Tom will prob say 'don't mess with the setup and listen to the musc'

Anders

Re: Martin Logans - Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Martin Logans are good but some of them don't age well.
Sometimes panels need to be replaced.

Best used electrostatics are Acoustat and Sound Labs.
Quads are ok too if you can get a good deal and the panels aren't damaged.
Someone had Acoustats on craigslist for $350 but they don't answer my emails.

I own 2 pairs of Acoustats.

Anders

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
While I can't attest to the magic of electrostatic loudspeakers, I can say that my Stax electrostatic headphones are in an entirely different league as compared to "traditional" driver-type headphones.

If the same applies to speakers, take Anders' advice and you'll be thrilled.

Offline vintedge

• Double Secret Probation!
  • So many Good guitars..So few Good Fingernails...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
I've owned the ML Vistas for two years and I really like them - they are different - airy, image well, no problems with them - except I blew out a woofer - they sent me a replacement immediately... no questions asked. Powered by the Luxman R-1120 on its electrostatic speaker circuit. I use the 490T to feed two systems - the MLs with the Luxman and the Aerials with the c5 and Mac 2300. The sound is pretty alright....vintEDge
MMF-5 TT, DP-45 TT, Carver490T, Quicksilver Mono 60s, C5, Luxman R-1120, 2 Sony cd Jukeboxes, TX-11b, Mac MC2300, Aerial acoustic 8b, ML Vista, MVP-871, Dynaco St-35, Pas3, Mac C31v,Thiel CS-3.5, , Yamaha SS amps(2), 10" Klipsch - 8" JBL SWs, Advent 6003,LAdvents (4), Akai 285D R-R

Offline vintedge

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »
Pics were a no load...
MMF-5 TT, DP-45 TT, Carver490T, Quicksilver Mono 60s, C5, Luxman R-1120, 2 Sony cd Jukeboxes, TX-11b, Mac MC2300, Aerial acoustic 8b, ML Vista, MVP-871, Dynaco St-35, Pas3, Mac C31v,Thiel CS-3.5, , Yamaha SS amps(2), 10" Klipsch - 8" JBL SWs, Advent 6003,LAdvents (4), Akai 285D R-R

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
How bout some ribbons???  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
Never had ribbons before.  The Carver Amazings did not sound well to me when I listened to them at the VHFS,  but they were not ideally positioned for sound*.  They are also pretty large.  Someone I know in Cranberry is selling a pair of Magnepan MMGs - I may go look a them.

Thanks,

OBG

*Tom: This would be a great add to the new location - use one of the rooms as a dedicated listening room to show off equipment combos

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
Pics were a no load...

Hmmm. What is that nice looking speaker to the right?
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline vintedge

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Aerial 8bees

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »
I get the impression Tom misses those Aerials and would gladly take them off your hands any time.
 :D

Offline vintedge

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »
I was very busy last night with emergencies and couldn't make it up :'(- getting ready for a job and won't make next week either- maybe week after - this work thing sure interferes with my life. ::)

Pepe-I never owned ribbons so I don't know what to tell you - but the Logans sure sound percussively articulate, bass is via 8" woofers and sound tight and full to me - I don't need a sub - when I play Oscar Peterson's reunion blues on a Sunday reading the paper I'll stop and think "damn that sounds good"! IMHFO. Need a min of 100watts - using R-1120 which sounds excellent too- tube like...
 Ed

Offline vintedge

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
Tom,
Those Aerials are doing fine - get something better and maybe I'll trade 'em in.....maybe in the future I'll replace the Mac with a Sunfire??
VINTedGE

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
...but the Logans sure sound percussively articulate, bass is via 8" woofers and sound tight and full to me - I don't need a sub - when I play Oscar Peterson's reunion blues on a Sunday reading the paper I'll stop and think "damn that sounds good"! IMHFO. ....

Yep - that sound like what I am looking for.  The imaging of planars with a dynamic driver for mid and low bass.

Pepe

Anders

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 12:04:57 PM »
When I worked at Audio gallery we got in Martin Logans for awhile.
They sounded good but really nothing like a full range electrostatic speaker.
Imagine those wonderful sounding mids going all the way down in the bass.
Makes every dynamic speaker (woofer) sound distorted by comparison.

Anders

SunnyDaze

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
I emailed about the Accutats too, Anders.

As Phil Collins would put it, there's no reply at all.