Author Topic: CL Purchase - JBL 630's.  (Read 8130 times)

SunnyDaze

CL Purchase - JBL 630's.
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »
The guy I bought them from said he bought them in 1985 for $650. He was asking $75 for the speakers. He also had a POS Technics receiver from the mid 90's, a dual well cassette deck, and a low end Pioneer 6 disc cartridge changer if anyone is interested.  :P  I got to his house. The cabinets were primo! I pulled the grilles off, and, yup. The dust cover on the one woofer was pushed in. "Oh, I don't know how that got there... Uh... I didn't know it was there!"  ;D  ;D

I looked at him in disappointment and said "Well, I'll give you $40 for the speakers." He took it. I left. On the way home, I formulated a plan to suck out the dented dust cover. I have some 3/8 clear tubing. I used my hand to create a makeshift "adapter" that reduced the vacuum cleaner extension down to the exterior diameter of the tube. I turned the vacuum on, held the tube, put my fingers over the vacuum attachment, and used my other hand to use the clear tubing to suck out the dust cover! WOO HOO!

Here are some pics of the culprits. They don't have extended bass, and the treble is somewhat bright, but they're very sensitive and fairly revealing. They have fairly decent mids and vocals. Sorry they're so foggy. My iPhone's lens is scratched to hell and back.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:00:37 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: CL Purchase - JBL 630's.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:44 PM »
"Oh, I don't know how that got there... Uh... I didn't know it was there!"  yeah right. Nice try, slick.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:45:40 PM »
Yeah well, I took that drive on the hope that he'd let them go for $50 - $60 anyhow. I guess it worked out well!  :D

It was actually somewhat funny, he's a lousy liar!

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:37 PM »
Elijah on the inside upon removing the speaker covers:

HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 12:24:41 AM »
Ha. The same face that I made when I sold you the Grados with the louder right channel!

Joking, joking.