Author Topic: Granite isolation bases  (Read 9545 times)

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
Re: Granite isolation bases
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
And what would that be?

George.

I am looking at the Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridges. The problem is I have not heard one
this is a trade show demo, 50% off list so down to $1500.00

Brian

George.

By time I made up my mind, the demo cartridge had sold.

Ended up purchasing a brand new one. here are some reviews.

http://www.avguide.com/review/transfiguration-phoenix-moving-coil-cartridge-and-hannl-mera-record-cleaning-machine

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TRANPHX

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 05:51:45 AM »
I had to move my sub across the room because I was getting a good amount of rubble on my Denon running a MC, but nothing like at CF.  As stupid as it sounds, I made some blocks to sit my pre and amp on.  I have a bunch of butcher block I used to build the base of my one turntable.  I figured, why not cut up some pieces and put it under my components.  Verdict is still out if it improves anything.

Ryan.

I think it's the combination of the dead wight and the isolation cones, without the cones you still
have the same surface area for vibration to travel thought you should order some and try it out.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »

I need to try that...my sub is too close to the turntable/rack resulting in horrible feedback. I can't use the sub with the turntable....

Since CF, put in a new audio rack and bought a bigger sub. http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/products.aspx?path=Subwoofers&productid=SuperCube%20Reference . I made a place for the sub right under one side of the new rack.  It has no effect on my TT.  According to Rega, TTs need complete isolation, and they sell a wall mount to help accomplish that.
My system sits on a concrete floor.  The thick Sorbothane completely isolates components from all but room vibrations created as I dance naked and sing too loudly. 

The thick stuff is made for home construction in earthquake areas.  You can find it on Amazon.  It really tames a sub, or isolates any component.  It looks kinda expensive until you try it.  I buy the sheets and cut them into 1 inch squares.  Here on the deck, it keeps my Polk MicroPro 4000 from ripping the deck from the house.

As to feedback, subs are prone to that.  Run a separate power line if you have a big one.