Author Topic: Another turntable project  (Read 17020 times)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Another turntable project
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Very nice Rev.  Do you think the floating ball makes the initial setup for cartridge overhang, null point set, VTA, etc. more difficult?  After all, you don't have a fixed pivot point.  The ball looks like it has some "play" in the cup.  I guess you could add fluid to the cup to adjust the VTA, but then you would need to adjust the slack in the string. 
Carl

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 08:39:38 AM »
Your turntable projects are awesome, not sure that I am ready for the ping pong ball treatment, but I wouldn't mind having someone check out my Thorens. I think it has a bent tone arm. I started taking it apart and looking for a replacement but my cordless drill was too big to fit in some of the screws. :o
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Reverend

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
Very nice Rev.  Do you think the floating ball makes the initial setup for cartridge overhang, null point set, VTA, etc. more difficult?  After all, you don't have a fixed pivot point.  The ball looks like it has some "play" in the cup.  I guess you could add fluid to the cup to adjust the VTA, but then you would need to adjust the slack in the string.

The initial setup is probably the most difficult.  I used a template and it was hard to get it set to it's natural playing position.  As far as the fluid, I have it filled to a point that seems to work well.  The fluid is not very thick and the weight of the tonearm is enough to never have any type of slack on the wire.  It's still too heavy to float.  The ball does have some play in the cup, that's why it's larger so it can natural move around if needed.   It's at the shop now, we were playing it last night and not one hiccup.  It tracks like a dream and I thought it sounded pretty good on a pair of 305's. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:45:50 AM by Reverend »

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »
Nice photo!

It looks fabulous!  I'm glad to hear that it sounds great.  Very interesting project, and kudos for detailing how this table is setup to work.

Regards,
Carl

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
Good tracking is easy to get, just sit a beer on top.
Some worry about record wear, but I don't.  Records are cheap, not so much cart repair.

My understanding has always been the best was just below float.  If yours don't float, how do you dial it in?
I am not a critic, just trying to learn.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
In my eyes the cup of lubrication works in two ways.  One, it cuts down on the only friction point, the hanging ball.  Second is that it prevents any rocking back and forth.

I already started on a new one.  We'll see how this one turns out.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
Almost done.  Still need to mount it and make a tonearm rest.  Looking forward to giving it a spin tomorrow!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:17:36 PM by Reverend »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »
It sounds very good but I've only listened to it for about an hour so far.  One mistake I found right away was with the Thorens, it is a suspended plateform so the tonearm board moves with the platter.  This type of tonearm needs to be on a non-suspended table or mounted on a flat/non-moving surface.  It's overkill and makes it more susceptible to vibration.

Perhaps a two piece plinth with the armboard completely detached is in order.   

This is so impressive to me.   I wish I had those kind of skills.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »
I hard mounted the tonearm board on the Thorens, that took care of the issue.  I mounted the new all metal tonearm to my other turn table but have not been able to try it yet.  I tried using old tonearm wires and it wasn't cutting it.  I just purchased new ones and once I install those I'll give it a spin.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
The tone arm suport bracket looks too much like and old Dust Bug (before they were made out of plastic)I have around here somewhere.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Reverend

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
It's because part of the arm is made from a dust brush, lol.  I'm not a machinist, i'm piecing this stuff together from parts I have lying around.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
Still waiting on new tonearm wires but i've been working on the base some more.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »
Amazing work Rev.  I remember doing this like this a couple of  decades ago.  Mostly tweeking/modifying
arms, suspensions, motors.  Lots of fun. 

If you need an alternative arm material look into carbon fiber arrow shafts.  Even high end aluminum/alloy shafts.  They are probably some of the straightest, most precisely machined shafts you can get.  And given thier precision a very affordable alternative. 

Keep up the great work!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »
I installed the new tonearm wires and gave it a whirl.  Right away I started to get some swaying back and forth that I know from the previous build has to do with the improper amount of weight.  So, I added more weight to the end and a dime to the head shell, after a little trial and error it is singing like a dream.  Great detail.  I'm using a Grado cart playing Roger Water's "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking".  I truly believe it sounds as good as my Denon running a much more expensive cart.  I'm very happy with the results and look forward to the next project.... which will be an air bearing tone arm, lol.

Offline lolimsober

• FNG !!!
  • it don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing
    • aids is really
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
this is so awesome! i would have never imagined a 'floating' tone arm! that's so impressive. thank you for sharing this!
shit, i'll get one of these eventually