Author Topic: The truth about speaker wire  (Read 9567 times)

SunnyDaze

Re: The truth about speaker wire
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »
I agree. I'm more into the music than I am what's creating it, as long as it sounds "good".

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
No Comment.   ???

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »
Jesse, do you think that it'd even be worth swapping out speaker cables in an attempt to hear a difference given my Onkyo / Paradigm setup? It's not exactly a Lightstar driving Snell B's.  ;D

There's no harm in experimenting.  :)

What are you using now and what, if any, others have you tried?
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Anders

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 12:13:53 AM »
I'm not sure if you guys know this but I came from a high-end background having worked in alot of the high-end stereo shops that were in Pittsburgh.

I was known as an audiophile who actually had ears.

If you guys are seriously interested in weather wire makes a difference you should be looking for articles in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.

I'm not up on what sounds good now but I could tell you what was good back in the 90's.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
  I also believe that if I spent $5k, or even $500 for cables, they would sound better to me.

I find that kind of comment troubling. Why would you not simply trust your ears? I mean, I've tried certain cables that cost a lot more than what I currently own and found that I didn't care for them.....for whatever reason, they didn't make the angels sing. There was no way I was going to keep them because of their price tag.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 07:35:02 AM »
I'm not sure if you guys know this but I came from a high-end background having worked in alot of the high-end stereo shops that were in Pittsburgh.

I was known as an audiophile who actually had ears.

If you guys are seriously interested in WEATHER wire makes a difference you should be looking for articles in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.

I'm not up on what sounds good now but I could tell you what was good back in the 90's.

You dropped the entire message of your post by 10 points with your misuse of the word WHETHER~
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Anders

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »
I knew I misspelled it.
Just checking to see if anyone was paying attention.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
The truth?  You can't handle the truth!

Bunni

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
LOL

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
Why would you not simply trust your ears?
...and in the simplicity is the answer to all questions. Thank you Jesse!  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »

I also believe that if I spent $5k, or even $500 for cables, they would sound better to me.

I find that kind of comment troubling. Why would you not simply trust your ears? I mean, I've tried certain cables that cost a lot more than what I currently own and found that I didn't care for them.....for whatever reason, they didn't make the angels sing. There was no way I was going to keep them because of their price tag.

If the change in sound quality was obvious (and worse), my decision would be not to buy expensive cables and I do trust my ears.  Unfortunately, what I hear and what I think I hear mix together when it all hits my brain, which tells me expensive cables should sound better than my 12 guage, decent quality stranded wire set up.  I guess I would always be concerned I am not hearing something that matters.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77