Author Topic: SPIN CLEANS HAVE ARRIVED AT THE SHOP  (Read 10299 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Re: SPIN CLEANS HAVE ARRIVED AT THE SHOP
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
or do it wourself...  sounds like a hassle though!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Distilled-Water

Offline DaveS

• OCCD Extraordinaire
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 05:52:29 PM »
Use distilled, it's cheap and will not have the iron, copper, calcium, lime, lead, and other trash you don't don't want in the tiny wall of the groves in your record.  Make sure it says distilled  NOT sold as distilled.  You can get it at any big food or drug store.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:55:08 PM by DaveS »

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
Thanks Dave S and everyone for input. So I guess what you're telling me is that I shouldn't use on my records the same stuff I'm drinking and showering with!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »
Another good place to purchase distilled water are auto parts stores. Check in the battery / charging / starting section.

Offline Rockman Rock

• Double Secret Probation!
  • How about a taxi grab.....
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »
So I guess what you're telling me is that I shouldn't use on my records the same stuff I'm drinking and showering with!

Gotta have them priorities straight. Take better care of our records than ourselves. ;D
Salk SoundScape 8's / Audio Research Reference 3 / Bottlehead Eros Phono / Krell KSA-250 / diy Lenco w/AA MG-1 arm / diy Dual Mono Buffalo III DAC / Denon 3910 I2S/DSD out mod / SB Touch 12S out mod / diy Cinemag SUT

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
A buddy of mine get me some research grade water from a medical lab.  Distilled water may still have residual minerals.  Research grade water is distilled and deionized.  He gets it out of the tap in the lab.
Carl

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:15 PM »
However, I will confess to using distilled even tap water when needed LOL!

My soundstage is larger and has more detail when I use research grade water LOL!

Carry on!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:17 AM »
Pfft... That's amateur stuff Carl.

First I calculate the overall charge of the surface of the record album.

Then I use electrolysis to produce either anoionized or cationized water, such that when applied to the record surface will result in a net charge of zero.

Then I ground myself directly to the water pipes when I clean my albums to prevent further ionization.

I swear, I can hear the bands in the studio coughing their lungs up on bong hits in between recording sessions when I play my LP's!

:)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »
OBG, that's really an intense way to make distilled water. I'm way to lazy to put that much effort int just about anything. Turns out we have a new gallon bottle of distilled water in our laundry room. It's from Giant Eagle. I love the sound of vinyl but have to admit they are probably the highest maintenance format of all the audio sources.