Author Topic: JBL D123 rubbing voice coil - anyone local to Pittsburgh do this kind of repair?  (Read 4033 times)

bmwr75

I picked a pair of 1960s vintage (I'm guessing) large cabinets a month or two ago.  Each cabinet housed one extended range JBL D123 driver.  The voice coil is rubbing on one of them.  These have pleated cloth surrounds, so fixing it via a refoam is not an option.  Anyone around hear tackle this kind of problem?  Might require reconing.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
This might be a dumb question, but have you tried spinning it 180 degrees and seeing if gravity fixes the problem?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

bmwr75

Yep.  Did that the day I got them.  Only gave it a few days before I tried the speaker again.  No change that I could hear.  Probably should have left it hanging like that, but I pulled the driver from the cabinet and put it in the basement to stare at resting on its back.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
I checked them out on epay... not too spendy. It might be cheaper to get a used one in good shape.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
I clicked the link in his ad to see if it was the guy from Aliquippa, but the page only said "account suspended".   That's not very promising.

Offline RandyD

• FNG !!!
I had my L300 and L65 woofers repaired by Ray Reamer at The Audio Factory in Sarver,pa. He is a trained JBL repair technician. He works out of a small shop behind his home. He did an outstanding job on my drivers. His phone# is 724-353-2584. He is located on Ekastown Road.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Very good info.

bmwr75

Thankks RandyD.  I'll check this fellow out.