Author Topic: Power Meter hook up  (Read 2691 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Power Meter hook up
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »
I have a Phase Linear 400 expertly recapped/modded by Bearjew under OCCD's expert tutelage.  One of the mods is really awesome rhodium plated banana jacks for the speaker wires.  I have the speaker wires terminated in banana plugs and all has been well.  I'm not a big fan of Radio Shack products but I do have an Audio Power Meter model
APM-200 that I figured it should be ok and not affect sound  Looking for a convenient way to hook it up I wired them into the same jacks using the screw in part of the speaker jacks.  Every thing seems to work great.  The meters have switchable power settings of 200 watt or 2 watt.  I set to 2 watt and get something interesting to look at.  Standard needle indicators for RMS and LED indicators for peak.  Anybody see any issues with the way I wired these in?  The VU meters on the PL400 are awesome but pretty much more for looks than function as their range is set so high that my ears would bleed at the volumes I'd have to play at to get much power indication.  Too bad too.  It's a shame it doesn't have a 2 watt setting also.
Thanks for any replies

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Power Meter hook up
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
I had one of those once and don't think there is much to screw up.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Power Meter hook up
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
Safest bet is to wear arc resistant gloves, and remember, the top lugs are hot and deadly.

....wait... power meter, not electric meter
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.