Author Topic: 50's altec speakers connected to modern yamaha reciever...probs  (Read 2190 times)

Offline abat_jour

• FNG !!!
Hi,
I am new and just posted in the intro forums.

For someone with little knowledge beyond plugging a cord into an outlet, is there a website or guidebk to walk me through setting up my system? I think I need new speaker wires. They are the kind with just a barren metal wire on the end that I stick into the reciver. ALthought the corner speaker (subwoofer?) has copper wire composed of many little copper wires, but they are gnarled and bent. I have trouble getting sound from that speaker. I have 6 million questions, left/right rear and front and how to replace the wires. etc.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: 50's altec speakers connected to modern yamaha reciever...probs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
Maybe you could start by giving us some pictures of what you have.   Your descriptions really aren't giving a lot of info.   Plus, if those are 50s Altecs, you could put too much power into them with your Yamaha.   I would hate to see you fry classic gear just because you don't know how to hook it up.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »
A great education and lot's of fun can be had at Vintage HiFi, the shop that sponsors this forum.  If you are near Pittsburgh, it's worth a visit...ask for Tom
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Depending on whose laws of physics you adhere to, any wire of sufficient size is just as good as the next. For the smallish amount of power that those Altecs should require, chances are if it's lamp cord sized or larger, you're fine on the wire.

What all does your system consist of? What is your ultimate goal with it? Pictures would be good.

Help us help you!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »
Pictures of each piece would be perfect.  We can then guide you through the setup process.