Author Topic: Sonic Hologram question  (Read 4686 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Sonic Hologram question
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:46:16 AM »
I have a Carver C-5. I notice when I try the hologram the balance control gets kind of funky. If I turn the balance control to the extreme right it might shift things around a bit but the volume level coming out of the left speaker remains pretty much unchanged and vice versa. Is this as it should be?
Thanks

Offline Reverend

Re: Sonic Hologram question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:54:40 AM »
The way that I understand how the holography works is that when engaged, it takes part of the signal from the right channel, delays it and then sends it to the left channel.  So it would make sense that what you are describing would happen.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
Sonic holography", as described in US Patent 4,218,585, is the enhancement of stereo imaging by introducing a delayed and equalized signal from the right channel at the left loudspeaker to cancel the signal from the right loudspeaker at the listener's left ear (and vice versa).
Its' usefulness depends on alot of factors including speakers and their set up and source material. Without proper setup it appears to add bass and confuse the source material.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »
I have noticed that when the holography is engaged and the balance conrol is shifted from left to right there is indeed still out put from the speaker that would normally go silent.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
What if the box was placed between the source and the pre rather than in the tape loop or after the pre?   Certainly then the balance control would work as intended, wouldn't it?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »
I have noticed that when the holigraphy is engaged and the balance conrol is shifted from left to right there is indeed still out put from the speaker that would normally go silent.

Sonic Holography modifies the transfer function of the preamplifier by taking the signal from the left channel, equalizing and delaying it, and then playing it through the right channel as well as taking the signal from the right channel, equalizing and delaying it, and then playing it through the left channel.

The overall goal of the process is to create a more pure stereo signal at the listeners ear by generating negative interference (cancellation) of the right channel at the left ear of the listener as well as canceling the left channel at the right ear of the listener.

As the signal from the left channel is intermodulated with the right channel and the signal from the right channel is intermodulated with the left channel, turning the balance pot to one side or the other should produce a somewhat monophonic signal from both speakers that takes on the signal from which ever direction you turned the balance pot.

Without schematics, this is about all I've got.

I'm sure Tom, Anders, and some of the other gurus on here can give a much better explanation. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:09:22 PM by SunnyDaze »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
This site describes the current state of the art in holography:

Modern Sonic Holography

I thought you all would find it useful.

Pepe

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
P.S....the sweet spot is narrow. The first time I actually experienced sonic holigraphy was at C.F. 2010. I could not believe it was that much of a difference. The sweet spot was only about 1 foot so again, placement is critical. Made me a believer!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »
P.S....the sweet spot is narrow. The first time I actually experienced sonic holigraphy was at C.F. 2010. I could not believe it was that much of a difference. The sweet spot was only about 1 foot so again, placement is critical. Made me a believer!

I'm sure you were listening to carver ribbons which would explain the small sweet spot more than the holography.  But now that I think about it, i'm sure the combination of the two does dictate the size.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:12:30 PM by Reverend »

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
Nope...no Carvers.. Tyler Acoustics.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »
Thanks for all the insight everyone