Author Topic: CAssete Head mount repair  (Read 2991 times)

OldiesButGoodies

CAssete Head mount repair
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »
I am restoring a Nak 480.  The fasteners F9 and F11 are make of some cast and weak metal.  One was not there the other broke.  I am thing that nylon screws would work just as well.  Any thoughts or warnings? Azimuth is controlled by a different set screw. Thanks Pepe.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: CAssete Head mount repair
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
OBG, got a Pic?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
Will post one later,  thanks MG

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »
The cast-formed screw I broke is F11 in this picture.  The diagram is of the Nak 482 which has three heads and would require a second (F9) screw which mine does not need.  This screw keeps the board on which the head is mounted pivoted and the angle controlled by the azimuth set screw.  I was able to duplicate it using a tiny nylon screw and nut (source: Ace Hardware),  so did not have to canibalize a second 480 I had.  It was a useful lesson in RTFM first and dont freak out if a part looks weird, you may be able to achieve the same result with a regular fastener. I am listening to the 'fixed' deck now.  Playing Celtic music - sounds excellent.  Recordings made by itself sound even better (typical Nak).  Recording in metal tape sound glorious,  but who wants to mess with unobtanioum tape.  [Side note - the RX-202 ad BX-125 I have for sale on Ebay have the strange quality compared to the others of making really good sound on cheap regular tapes - that was unexpected]. 

OBG

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:15:39 PM by OldiesButGoodies »