Author Topic: Upgrade  (Read 6243 times)

Offline audiott

• Double Secret Probation!
Upgrade
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
I almost hesitate to post this question as I can already hear the cannon fire erupting. But, I just gotta know.  I have a Tanberg 3008A preamp, a Marantz 2245 being used as an amp only and Klipsch F3s. Where should I put my money, speakers or amp? I don't like overly bright systems. If you have a recommendation for speakers or amp let me know. Trying to stay under 500 upgrade. Prefer used gear due to cost.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
Speakers are going to make the biggest difference. If you are happy with the klipsches and just want to give them more power, the answer is obvious.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline audiott

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
Obviously, I am new to this. Does adding more power change the sound quality or just the volume?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
Both, kind of. Lots of crappy watts will sound worse than fewer quality watts.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline audiott

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »
I got it! 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
I don't like overly bright systems.

I like bright systems and therefore love Klipshes.   I would think given that statement you may find other speakers that suit you better.

Offline audiott

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
Hmmm. I don't find mine bright.  Maybe its the Marantz evening it out.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
The right amp will improve woofer control and increase headroom, lowering compression and improving bass response.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »
As markshan said, Klipsch speakers are about as bright as they come. Even with the Crites diaphragms installed, they still push the edge of what I'd consider tolerable for long listening sessions.

That being said, I think your best upgrade point at present would be speakers. Check around on CL and wherever else you wish and do some research on what you find.

Also, if you are local, check out the inventory at Vintage Hi Fi. You may find something there that you find tonally pleasant.

Offline audiott

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:41:36 PM »
I am local. I swing by the shop frequently. I guess I have to find where tom is hiding all the good speakers.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
Ouch.

Offline audiott

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:01:56 PM »
Didn't mean it as a slam! haven't seen many speakers there. Tons of other goodies. I have bought three turntables there and a preamp in the last few months.  Definitely a fan

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 11:04:41 PM »
You said your price range is around 500?  I only have experience with the Tandberg as I think it may have once been mine.  I would tend to agree with others and say if you don't like bright you might want to consider a new pair of speakers.  I don't know if I have anything that would suit you right now but I am looking at upgrading my main system which could leave me with some extra speakers to sell for a little over that price range. (subwoofer would be needed) 
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline audiott

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 11:14:29 PM »
If I come speakers that I am considering, I will through it out on the forum for opinions/advise.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 02:55:30 AM »
Polk SDA 2B's with the TL mod. You can thank me later.  8)
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."