Author Topic: Rec needed for bright sounding amp...  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
Rec needed for bright sounding amp...
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »
Anyway...

I recently completed a set of DIY speakers (thread http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?41130-The-trials-and-triumphs-of-a-Finalist-build) that, for the first time, I feel need separate amplification.  They are still over a friend's house being broken in and fed some Rotel goodness.  From experimentation it seems that these are somewhat inefficient and LOVE moar power.  I would say 100W would be the are minimum.  I understand (not heard by me) that they loved a modified Rotel RB1090 pushing 384W. 

The last time I heard them they needed to be broken in.  But it was apparent that they needed some upper end sparkle help.  Hopefully, the break in period will help this.  However, I still think a brighter sounding amp will help in this regard.  So.....no tube amp recommendations this time.  lol

So, if you had $500 what would you buy (used is fine by me) for this setup?  I didn't really want to go higher but will entertain "must have" recommendations up to $700. 

I was thinking about Rotel, Emotiva, Carver, etc.  What do you all think?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Rec needed for bright sounding amp...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
Nice build.   Are you limiting yourself to strictly "home" amplification?   I wonder what a Crown D series PA amp would sound like pushing those.   Crown amps are known for high end and lots of headroom.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:03:14 AM »
Very nice project ! Impressive skill set.  Me...I would tweak the crossover
before buying a new amp (especially a non neutral sounding amp).

How about an EQ?  Now sure how you feel about them.  Used properly I have no
objections to them.

Seems counter intuitive to look for an amp that is deliberately non-neutral sounding.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »
Off of the top of my head, the Adcom GFA-555, any of the Phase Linear stuff, Onkyo Integra M-504 / 508 are a few that come to mind.

How sensitive are those speakers? As the DIY type, you can always get a KT-88 or KT-120 tube amp and modify it to sound as you please. :)

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 08:38:36 AM »
Emotiva XPA-2 is in your price range and is rated 250 WPC.

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 09:01:15 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions!  Please keep them coming.

I, too, was thinking of the Adcom 555/5500 series or the Emotiva XPA2.  I just didn't know what else was out there that I could use.

Tom did mention those some Dynaco tube amps.  Are those KT's by them also?  I am completely clueless when it comes to tubes.

I was also kicking around the idea of building a SS amp myself.  I have no idea what kits are out there.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »
I have a Yamaha MX-800U that is in mint condition for sale if you are interested. It's rated 8 ohm power is 170 watts with 2 db's of headroom. PM me if interested.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
Check the Ohio Craigslists. I remember seeing a set of Dynaco ST-70s on there recently for a fair price. They use KT-88s. You can tweak their sound signature by swapping out a few caps and a few resistors. I'm still extremely green at modding tube amps and I usually have more failure than I do success, but, boy is it fun. :)

I've heard that Yamaha amp that Slim-Shaddy is selling and I can say that it sounds lovely and definitely does tip the scales somewhat toward the bright side of life. It's definitely in your price range and will power almost any speakers on the planet.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/3995124267.html

There's a GFA-555 that's got issues for sale. I'm sure you could snag it cheap and fix it up nicely.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
I find the Carver TFM 35 to be a warm sounding amp that might be what you would want. I have one that has been recently serviced if you are interested. I have compared it to Emotiva and Chiro and it seems to best fit your needs. I have a nodded Chiro C-200 that has a very clear and accurate sound but not as warm as the Carver.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

bmwr75

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
I find the Carver TFM 35 to be a warm sounding amp that might be what you would want.

As in just the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »
Does your preamp have tone controls, or if a receiver, does it have pre-amp outs?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

SunnyDaze

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
I find the Carver TFM 35 to be a warm sounding amp that might be what you would want.

As in just the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

They do things a lil' backerds down in West Virginia...

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »
Greetings Finleyville!

Very nice speakers that you built.  If these speakers are not very efficient, I recommend that you stay away from tube amps and stick with solid state.  Inefficient speakers can sound very good and articulate well but the need a lot of power.  I am very familiar with the Dynaco ST-70 and it is not what you want.

If you have a preamp, MacGeek has some good suggestions.

Whatever you do, try to demo an amp in YOUR system before taking the plunge and buying something.  The amp must sound good to you with your speakers in your listening space.  Otherwise, you will spend a lot of money chasing the sound you desire.

Good luck!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
Carl is right. My ST-70 suggestion may have been misleading not knowing the efficiency of your speakers.

I'll tell you what... If you're relatively close to me in Belle Vernon, I can bring my Onkyo Integra M-504 over to your place one night for an evening.