Author Topic: Rec needed for bright sounding amp...  (Read 6898 times)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Re: Rec needed for bright sounding amp...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 10:43:15 PM »
My bad!  I just glanced over it too fast.  I know someone selling an Emotiva that might fit the bill.  I will tell him to look at the forum.  Avoid the Carver if you want bright!  :laugh:
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
Beautiful speakers.  Thank you for sharing and welcome to the forum.   

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »
Thank you for your kind words and your suggestions. 

The older Denon receiver does have preouts so that will not be a problem.  If I decide to use these in my HT then my Marantz definitely has them.

That was a very nice offer SunnyDaze.  I currently do not have the speaker right now because I don't have the room.  They are over a friend's house break in for awhile until I can figure out where to put these things.

I am keeping my eye on used Adcom 555/5500 and Emotiva XPA2's right now.  Since I am not in a hurry to buy right now I have time to sit back and look for a good deal.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
Welcome!  There is a used, in need of service Adcom on CL I saw this morning.  Unfortunately, I didn't copy the link.  Tom can probably fix the amp and as I recall, the price was low.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Shayne

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
Yes, I have an Emotiva XPA-2 I'm selling. I think it would fit the bill quite well. 300x2 @ 8ohm, 500x2 @4. It's a pretty bright sounding amp. It's in mint shape with the original box and I'm pretty sure i have a set of the black trim pieces that haven't been used. Let me know

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »
Due to actually reading what you are trying to find I might have an amp well worth your consideration. The Chiro C-200 that I own is very similar in sound to the Emotiva and was modded by Tom. It runs 140 at 8 ohms Class A and 280 at 4 ohms. I highly encourage you to ask Tom about this amp and get his opinion. I find it to be one of the cleanest solid state amps I have heard. If your heart is set on the Emotiva, Shayne is who I said owned one and it has been kept minty. Great guy for doing business!
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

SunnyDaze

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »

That was a very nice offer SunnyDaze.  I currently do not have the speaker right now because I don't have the room.  They are over a friend's house break in for awhile until I can figure out where to put these things.

Well my 504 isn't going anywhere and neither is the offer. Keep me posted. Best of luck with the search!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
  Rec needed for bright sounding amp...   

Emo is what you want, it'll have your ears bleeding right quick.

That said, I agree with the gentleman that suggested you tweak the crossovers, either with different values and/or different caps before buying a bright amp, which IMO, is not a desirable thing under any circumstance.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »
Changing the crossover is a valid suggestion.  But I think in this case I may be running into the limitation of the tweeter.  I will be able to tell more about the broken in sound when I get them back.  I hope that the top end will extend a little.  My speakers do not sound dark.  I think I am missing that extra shimmer/sparkle that you get from planar or diamond tweets.  I am probably asking too much from the equipment, but I have put a lot of effort into these and I want them to sound as good as they can possibly sound.

I am still interested in the Emotiva XPA-2 also the Adcom GFA-555 and perhaps others that I do not know about yet. 

I am going to have to do some serious research on the Adcom 555.  Some say the original Mk 1 is better than the Mk2 and vice versa.  I think I will start a new thread asking for member's experiences with these amps.

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
Alrighty then...

So I am happy to be wrong for once!  After a little messing around with my crossovers I have found that sparkle!  These things sound ridiculously good now.  Seriously. 

So now I DON'T need a bright sounding amp.  Just an amp.  I will be closing down this thread to start another to invite all suggestions.  Thank you very much for trying to help me out!