Author Topic: Identifying a pipe  (Read 7679 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Identifying a pipe
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:20:24 PM »
I inherited a pipe that my father-in-law had bought but never used several years ago.  It is in a box that says J.M. Boswell's Handmade Pipes.  There is no identifying labeling on the pipe except on the bowl is engraved Italy.  My father-in-law was not known to be cheap so I suspect it may be a decent pipe.  Any thoughts?  I can take a picture and try to post it here if that helps
thanks

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
Re: Identifying a pipe
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »
When I come over to pick up the RCA cleaners we should pack that bowl with some "mother nature" >:D
Carl

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »
Brad, I talk a big story  O0  but I am harmless LOL!  I haven't had a bowl since before Steven was alive LOL!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:27:53 AM »
Italy? I think Boswell is alive and well and still making pipes in Franklin County, PA.

My mom's father was a DEVOUT piper. He would comb the grounds of historical sites looking for porcelain pipes. He had quite the collection as well.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »
When I come over to pick up the RCA cleaners we should pack that bowl with some "mother nature" >:D

They say that's great for alleviating the side effects of chemo.   I have no issue with him using a pipe in that way, but I'm not a cop.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »
Ahhh yes Boswell pipes. Like the American Smoking pipe Company, Boswell makes a good made in the USA pipe. Like Tinsky, he makes lots of pipe so the average smoker has a chance to buy and smoke a good pipe.

The average price for a good hand made briar pipe can range from $250 to $500 bucks.
Boswell made sure he priced his pipes under $100 bucks so the everyday smoker could afford to buy them. That's good for the smoker not so good for the collector...

If you were ever thinking about trying pipe smoking that would be a great pipe to smoke.

If you were ever thinking of becoming a pipe smoker you can
N only smoke a pipe once a day. So if you wanted to have 5 smokes a day you'd need at least 5 pipes.it doesn't take too long to get to 35 pipes in your collection
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:40:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Tinpan.  I'm not really sure what kind of pipe I have.  It only has "Italy" engraved into the wood bowl.  It came in a Boswell box.  Looks like I'll have to skip this hobby or keep it simple.  Too expensive and I probably would only smoke a bowl or 2 a week anyway.  How about a drug store corncob pipe for $5.95? haha.  That's more my price range!  I probably shouldn't get in the habit much anyway because even inhaling the second hand smoke around me would probably be bad for me.  My cancer metastisized for the third time and this time into the lungs.
Thanks,
PBJ (Brad)

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
Post a pic Tinpan. I wanna see a pic.
'
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:22:21 AM »
@Carl & markshan:  With the side effects I have from cancer/chemo I sure I'd easily qualify for medical marijuana...I guess I just live in the wrong state for it.