Author Topic: What two ch amp is best for me? Help me spend my money!  (Read 10662 times)

Offline Turtle

• Basshole!
Re: What two ch amp is best for me? Help me spend my money!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
You may also want to consider Parasound.  I think you can pick up a Halo A21 for around your price point (albeit I have not looked recently).  250w/ch and I find it to be a very musical and yet powerful amp (I have one in my main system).
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Marantz SA15S2/Rega P3, Parasound P3, Parasound A21, Monitor Audio RS6

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
Well I missed out on that McCormack.... >:(

While I am still considering a Bryston 4b, Odyssey, or Onyko Integra I found a couple on Audiogon that I am not familiar with.  Can anyone give me any personal opinions on these below?

Belles 150A
https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-belles-150a-hot-rod-recent-service-silver-face-xlnt-cond-rare-2013-10-13-amplifiers-57006

Proceed HPA2
https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-proceed-hpa2-2013-09-15-amplifiers-14040

Classe s-700
https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-classe-s-700-amplifier-2013-09-26-amplifiers-22101

I am not looking for a warm sounding amp. I have heard that Classe fits this description.  Perhaps I am wrong?  Also I want to stay away from a bright sounding amp as well.  I thought Emotiva and Bryston may fit here?  I am looking for a neutral sounding amp. 

I want to thank everyone on their opinions and personal experiences.  They are helping me immensely on choosing the right amp for me.  Please keep them coming!

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
A little late to the discussion, but my two cents

I've experienced most of the vintage brands 70s thru the early 90s... and fell in love with Belles amps... at the time I was able to actually listen/ compare   them side by side in my search for a new amp to replace the Mitsubishi DA-A15 and preamp I had sold. LIstened to :Phase Linear, Mac, Carver, Yamaha, HK, Pioneer,Luxman... can't remember the rest, sorry getting old lol .... against a variety of inputs and speakers ( TOTL Dahlquist, Yamaha, Klipse, Infinity, Carver (yep) , JBL, B&W, and ML I think), the Belles 450 was far and away the best of the lot.... it just revealed what was played without adding or subtracting anything from the source... and so musical it was startling at times....rock, classical, blues, blue grass.... didn't seem to matter..... just my opinion and those at that store at that time... your results may vary lol... too bad I sold that amp a few weeks ago for a song....   
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »
remembered that Bryston amps were in the mix too...  which were pretty nice.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 12:30:12 AM »
I had  Belles many many moons ago too.  A superb amp.  You've received a ton
of recomendations.   Its a difficult decision.  They're all good.  I think you ruled out tubes...which I can understand.  I love them too but I'm in the solidstate camp for a while.  Let us know what you decide on.
I really digging the class D stuff.  Not everyone's sound signature but I like it. 

Anders

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 06:27:12 AM »
I agree Belles amps are good.
The Belles A was one of the best I've ever heard but it got hot as a stove and wasn't reliable.
I recently heard a class D amp and it was so-so.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »
yep, understand about the Belles heat thing... those puppies do get hot, not just warm...  the heat sinks in the 450 were massive.... as was the transformer. It had to weigh at least 50 lbs or more. Never heard of nor experienced any reliability problems....  I had a Corean stand built for mine (which sold with it)  and even put 2" spacers under the feet, and kept it in a well ventilated area ... not a corner, rack or cabinet friendly piece of equipment! lol

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »
I have made my decision! I have purchased an amp!  :laugh:

I will let everyone know what I picked up and how it sounds after it is shipped to me and I had some time to listen to my new setup. 

I want to thank everyone here for trying to help me.  Your personal experiences and insights were invaluable with my search.  If, for some reason, my choice doesn't work out then I have this thread to study some more and make a second decision. 

I am looking forward to many great listening sessions to come!