Author Topic: Analog to Digital Conversion Showdown  (Read 19690 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Analog to Digital Conversion Showdown
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »

bearjew

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
When is this happening?  Will there be pizza, beer and cheerleaders for each side? 

PS:  a properly recorded cassette tape w Dolby C on will kick the butt of a typical mp3 file at 128 kbps.

Cappy

Well no shit.

I'm totally cool with however you want to do it.  Technically, if our final result is a redbook, it's easier to get them to the judges.  Not everyone has systems setup to listen to 96, and now that I think of it...  I don't know anyone on here that can playback 192.  It's kind of a rare format, which is a crying shame.  Alright then, so let me get this straight.

1) Tom picks record.
2) Each one of us converts it on our own.
3) The final product must be 16-bit/44.1k.
4) In this contest, vinyl noise (clicks, pops, hiss, etc.) is regarded as a negative.  We are aiming for sonic clarity here, and those things, although enjoyed by some, are technically a detriment to the sound.
5) We are allowed to use any equipment we have access to.
6) The judges are Frank Hawk, Reverend, Sparky, and Anders.
7) There will be no multiple attempts.  The first thing you turn in will be the final thing you turn in.

I think these rules are fair.  The only one that I find negotiable is number 5.  Thrifty, if you want us to just use our own equipment, I'm ok with that too.  Let me know.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
Sorry if I'm missing something here.

Is the goal to obtain the most accurate A to D conversion when compared to the original source material or is the goal to create the most appealing sound in the final product?

The latter is much more subjective.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »
HELL YEAH!!! It's official...it's a walk off... Zoolander - Walk Off Scene official
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »

I'm totally cool with however you want to do it.  Technically, if our final result is a redbook, it's easier to get them to the judges.  Not everyone has systems setup to listen to 96, and now that I think of it...  I don't know anyone on here that can playback 192.  It's kind of a rare format, which is a crying shame.  Alright then, so let me get this straight.

1) Tom picks record.
2) Each one of us converts it on our own.
3) The final product must be 16-bit/44.1k.
4) In this contest, vinyl noise (clicks, pops, hiss, etc.) is regarded as a negative.  We are aiming for sonic clarity here, and those things, although enjoyed by some, are technically a detriment to the sound.
5) We are allowed to use any equipment we have access to.
6) The judges are Frank Hawk, Reverend, Sparky, and Anders.
7) There will be no multiple attempts.  The first thing you turn in will be the final thing you turn in.

I think these rules are fair.  The only one that I find negotiable is number 5.  Thrifty, if you want us to just use our own equipment, I'm ok with that too.  Let me know.

I assumed the judging would be an event we all attend, double blind with Tom playing the files to the judges without them knowing whose file is whose.   Any other method and personality has too much of a chance to come into play.   If this comes down to a popularity contest, I've lost before the game has even begun.

Redbook it is, I guess the next step will be for Tom to provide you the vinyl.   You do your thing, I do mine and we decide a time and place (presumably the shop) to compare the files.

As far as using just our own gear or "borrowing up", since this is just a gentleman's wager, I think we should be able to produce the same results we do in standard practice.   That said, you can use whatever you want (how would anyone know anyway?) but I plan to wow you guys with just how great a modest system (carefully selected and matched by a knowledgeable user) can sound.   I plan on doing this drop exactly the same way I do ones for my own consumption.   Besides, I'm more interested in checking out your skills than I am in checking out your gear.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »
Sorry if I'm missing something here.

Is the goal to obtain the most accurate A to D conversion when compared to the original source material or is the goal to create the most appealing sound in the final product?

The latter is much more subjective.

For sure it is subjective.   Dropping is an art, and like with any art beauty will be in the eye (ear) of the beholder.   One file could "win" for no other reason than that judge likes the voicing of cartridge "A" better than the voicing of cartridge "B".   If bj is as skilled as he says he is, our work on the files should be transparent.

This is all in good fun, I'm trying to not read too much into it.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »
You know, the only problem with using Redbook is that it possibly leaves us open to the charge that these aren't drops at all, but CD files.   So, let's judge on the Redbook but also provide the matching hi-res files they were sourced from "just in case".

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 03:26:11 PM »
What is Redbook?  This is a serious question. I really don't know. I really can't picture Thrifty & BJ sitting there reading Redbook Magazine! :-)

Offline Zoot Horn

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
here

Compact Disc Digital Audio (CDDA or CD-DA) is the standard format for audio Compact Discs. The standard is defined in the Red Book, one of a series of "Rainbow Books" (named for their binding colors) that contain the technical specifications for all CD formats.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »
Blind is the only way to judge
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
So we're not talking about Redbook the women's magazine! :-)

Offline Magnaryder

• Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
HELL YEAH!!! It's official...it's a walk off... Zoolander - Walk Off Scene official

Bwaahahahaha damn that's funny
ray
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

Offline Magnaryder

• Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »
So we're not talking about Redbook the women's magazine! :-)

It was starting to sound like it but it's great to find someone willing to A/B/X test their own work. My hat is off to you guys!! FWIW, playback should be done on a neutral(not one of your) system. Preservation of the acoustic environment should be taken in to consideration also. At my advanced age it's all I can hear anymore but it is one aspect  digital recordings don't seem to get right.

ray
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

bearjew

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 08:35:14 PM »
I wasn't really planning on making an event out of this. I figured that we would just burn a cd with files "one" and "two" on it. I liked this idea more because the judges can all listen on systems that they are comfortable with, as opposed to using the system at the shop, which is ever-changing.

Also, thrifty, I want to clarify your use of the word "transparent". If I were going to do a transparent conversion, I would just hit record, and that's it. Transparent means unnoticeable to me, and I don't want my work to be unnoticeable.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
By "transparent" I meant devoid of artifacts.