Author Topic: Upgraded Power cord for Carver amps?  (Read 4409 times)

Offline ClevelandVinyl

• FNG !!!
  • www.ClevelandVinyl.com
Upgraded Power cord for Carver amps?
« on: November 15, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
Hi Guys,
  Anyone upgrade the power cord for your Carver amps? I have a M1.0t MKII and two tfm 45's that I would imagine would benefit from the cheap stock cord to a nice audio quest one. Has anyone done this with any audible difference?

I'm not talking about the crazy $1,000+ cords that are prevalent in the high end crazy world, but a $100 cord from Audioquest that has good reviews.
 Tom, if you wouldn't mind chiming in, I would love to get your feedback on this.

Thanks!
Check my eBay store for my latest Audiophile 1st Pressings. Forum Members get free USA shipping!

www.ClevelandVinyl.com

SunnyDaze

Re: Upgraded Power cord for Carver amps?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
Make sure you get the TK-421 upgrade. It kicks it up another 4 quads per channel.

Offline MRHP

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »
I had Tom install an "IEC" in my Sunfire 300x2. The difference is worth it for sure.  I also did this to my 490t cdp and made a very nice difference in sound. Im using Douglas Connection cables on both.
TFM-75 serial#00001
PT-2400 serial#00001
Lightstar serial#00008
Lightstar serial#00008
Carver 490t
Sunfire vacuum tune preamp
DENON DP62L
Dahlquist DQ20's

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »
IEC upgrade is recommended.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:00:02 AM »
In home wiring is the fault of crappy sound more times than not. Shit in, shit out. Manufacturers put the necessary plugs and wires in place for you.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 02:18:43 AM »
Noticeable difference when I got everything hooked up to a dedicated 20 amp line Slim-Shaddy installed for me. Everyone should considering one or having one installed. If Slim is willing and available he does a first rate and reasonable installation. He even installed a new 150 amp panel for us and a 220v line to a charger for my older son's buddy that just bought an all electric car. In reality he probably saved our lives

NATOE

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 06:52:39 AM »
A power conditioner / ups with a dedicated line would make more sense to me. some ups systems can hold 120v constant no mater what the power is to it. 8 times out of 10 it is not the wiring in the house but how the power gets to your house. Why not just put a separate service to your house so your can run your amps, no way to avoid the fridge starting up and causing bad sound to your klh's or how about a three phase service you can run your house on A and C phase and all that massive stereo draw on B phase.

I have been in the electrical trade for over 15 years and have built power systems from the ground up for office buildings to tv stations to clean rooms to computer server rooms bigger than your house and the wiring is the same just a dedicated line to a piece of gear some places have u.p.s systems in case the power goes out or a gen to keep them up. Even Verizon doesn't go threw this and the gear that is used there is way more sensitive than a power amp. I have never  had an E.E. come on a job and want power cables changed out   remember these item have been already engineered. So when I hear that "o my system sounds better" with a 10 gauge power cord to it I call it B.S. Clean power starts from the source and that's the power co. and your not fixing them so lets systematically go threw the process to get clean power  a power conditioner  a dedicated 20 amp receptacle maybe an upgraded cord of your choice  maybe a whole house surge protector just in case the drunk down the street hits the power pole and a phase goes to ground..  Copper is copper the more strands the better not always size.

Offline MRHP

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »
Before we finished the basement I went all out and wired 7 dedicated citcuits.
TFM-75 serial#00001
PT-2400 serial#00001
Lightstar serial#00008
Lightstar serial#00008
Carver 490t
Sunfire vacuum tune preamp
DENON DP62L
Dahlquist DQ20's

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 09:18:05 AM »
I run separate 30 amp circuits to each power amp and separate 20s for the pre-amp and everything else.  I was experiencing a voltage sag with the standard 15 amp outlets and am not sure if it is the bigger gauge wire or the amperage increase that solved my problems.  The front panel meters on my power amps, which can draw almost 15 amps each, no longer dim at full tilt.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

NATOE

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 05:36:51 PM »
The way to go is the 80% rule  so a 20 amp circuit you would only want the load to be 16 amps on a 20 amp breaker

so a 30 amp circuit            24 amp on a 30 amp breaker 

and so on alum wire the amp rating is different