Author Topic: WTB Carver amp/pre  (Read 4297 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
WTB Carver amp/pre
« on: September 18, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
Hello,

Blew up my receiver and am looking to move away from receivers and get an amp/pre.  I'v been reading a bunch of forums, talking with some knowledgeable people, demo'd some some stuff, and have basically deduced that I'd like to get a Carver amp/pre.  Specifically looking for a C-1 pre and either a 1.0/1.0T/1.5/1.5T amp.  Any general knowledge/opinions on the units would be greatly appreciated as well. 

bearjew

Re: WTB Carver amp/pre
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »
I have a C-1, as do many other people I imagine.  I love it to death, and the only thing I could see myself upgrading to is something with tubes.  The 1.5t is the most powerful of those power amps, at I think 380wpc.  They sound great, but apparently they're not much fun to work on if something goes wrong.  A buddy of mine has a 1.5t and loves it.  Personally, I prefer meters to LEDs, but that's just my preference.  I think your choice in amp should be partially dependent on how much power your speakers need.  Generally, it's good to have twice the speaker rating.  Basically, if your speaker is rated for 100 watts, then you should get an amp that's 200wpc.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:22:11 PM »
I think your choice in amp should be partially dependent on how much power your speakers need.  Generally, it's good to have twice the speaker rating.  Basically, if your speaker is rated for 100 watts, then you should get an amp that's 200wpc.

There are two power ratings for many speakers, the minimum and the maximum.   if you mean at least double the minimum, I would agree wholeheartedly.   If you mean double the maximum rating, I would question that.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
What is your price range?  I have a Carver TFM 35 that a friend of mine has been using and it is an excellent amp if not interested in the Chiro.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »
I have a Carver C-5 pre that has been totally recapped and upgraded at VH and it is awesome.  It's dual zone and very flexible.  It also is the first pre that The Bob introduced with remote control which for me was required.  I will never get rid of it.  It will have to get rid of me first (don't like that option...haha).  My power amp is a Phase Linear 400 also recapped and upgraded at VH.  It of course is the amp that put the Bob on the Map in the early 70's.  It sounds awesome and is rated at 201 wpc.  Another thing I'll never get rid of.  In fact BJ took the faceplate with him to Carverfest to get the Bob to autograph it.  I wonder if that's considered a mod!

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
still looking...

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
Found an amp!!! M-500T --  I'm now looking for a C-1 pre.  Thank you

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!