Author Topic: For Sale-Otari MX 50N-II  (Read 1906 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
For Sale-Otari MX 50N-II
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »
While I cannot compete with Captain Tapedeek, I have too many open reel tape machines and have decided to part with my Otari MX 50N-II. 

This machine is very clean. It uses 1/4" tape and runs at 7 1/2 and 15 ips; it can be modified to run at 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 as an alternative.  It has a two track  head configuration.  It was manufactured in the late 1980s (1988 or thereabouts).

There are too many features to describe here and I'll refer you to the manual for details (I think a copy is available on Hi Fi engine).

I checked all of the mechanical functions this weekend, including lights, knobs and switches, as well as the play and erase functions and everything seems to operate as intended.  I have been unable to try recording due to a lack of proper cables and pre-amp ins and outs (the record/play connections are all balanced).  Listening was done with 'phones and the built in monitor speaker.

After researching the usual internet sources I have been unable to determine the going price for this unit.  The successor MX 5050 sells for around $300 in "parts or repair" condition, up to well over $1,000 fully restored.  Non look any better than this deck.  I am asking $450 (Forum price), including the original Otari NAB hubs, the original paper operation, service and schematic manual and power cord (just about everything that came with it new, except the box).

I am sure the members of this esteemed group will let me know if the price is wrong and if that proves to be the case, I will consider reasonable offers.

Thanks for looking.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77