Author Topic: Voicing a Room  (Read 3253 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Voicing a Room
« on: December 31, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
Today Klaus (a.k.a. Macgeek) dropped by and helped me/taught me the ways of using a Real Time Analyzer (RTA) to find acoustic problems and tame them with an eq.  Very helpful. The before and after difference was stark and led to me spending most of the day re-listening to a bunch of CDs (thanks Klaus!).

He used a Rane RA 30 with the matching Rane mic. 

Here are the 'before' pictures for left and right:

Left:

Right:

And after:

Left:

Right:

This is how the EQ ended up looking like after:

(Left on top)

A fun activity.  Ideally you do not want to have any eq in the signal path,  but after this experiment I am convinced it is worth it if you have a problematic room (mine has a dip at 40 hz and a peak at around 100 that we were able to tame to within +/- 3 dbs,  with the mic set at the position where my head would be in the listening chair). 

Happy New Year everyone!

Pepe

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Voicing a Room
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
Thanks, Pepe.  Those Infinitys do not sound like ass.

In my experience, every room has nodes.  Yours exceeded 12 db at some frequencies, with over a 24 db swing between 40 and 100hz, and the lowest octave was weak.  In my room, I have a hump exceeding 15 db at 50hz.  The left and right channels are never the same.  Higher ceilings help, as do very large rooms (both of which require more power).

If nothing else, it's fun to watch the dancing leds on the Rane, even with just a cup of coffee.

Happy New Year and good listening all.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
To finish the task you need to use the RTA on your ears. Imagine what that would be like with 8wof. Caution though, it can be painful

Anders

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:38:29 AM »
What a sight making things with light bright.
EQ's are fun to play with but they can never fully fix room problems.
I used to have an EQ and I used it to learn where all the frequencies were so I could tell where all the peaks and dips were in speakers and rooms.
By the way a cold room will sound cold and a warm room will have a warm sound.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:23:54 AM »
Ok - thanks everyone...

Pepe