Author Topic: Anybody successfully quit nicotine?  (Read 23218 times)

Bunni

Re: Anybody successfully quit nicotine?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Bunni, how do like "vaping"?

I like it!  You really kinda have to do your homework with vaping.  There's a lot of good stuff on the market, but knockoffs are finding their way in, and screwing the experience up for a lot of people.  That and the terrible info that's being put out there ahead of FDA regulations.  I've been vaping on and off since 2009.

When I started, there were fewer choices as far as hardware.  I learned to make my own e-liquid, which let's me control how much, if any nicotine I'm using.  I also know exactly what I'm vaping.  Being a control freak, that's a big deal.  It's also why I know a lot of the scare tactics being used in the media about them, is BS.  People don't seem to understand how to charge batteries and what to charge them with.  Not surprisingly, that has led to a few instances of battery explosions.  Knockoffs aren't made to the same standard either, which makes that last point an issue.

In any case, it's a great alternative, and uses fewer chemicals than a nicotine patch.  You can vape 0 nicotine if you want.  There are plenty of places now making USA made or UK made e-liquid, and the better vendors will make it to order.  Obviously there is an upfront cost, and that varies depending on what you find you like.  There are no tobacco flavors out there that actually taste like a real cig.  I vape flavors like pralines and cream, chocolate mint, caramel, butterscotch, etc.

Gas station e-cigs are crap, all of them.  The things you get from a mall kiosk are crap.  To find good quality e-cigs, you need to buy online.  If you're interested, I can point you in the direction of some decent vendors.

I had a good run with just e-cigs for about a year, and started smoking again around the holidays of the next year.  So, why am I still smoking you might ask?  Some of you know I have chronic pain issues, and there is just something about a real cig that makes me feel better.  That's hard to get past for me.  I hate the cost, I hate the smell, I hate the taste a lot of the time, and I hate how my walls look in my office.  Anders absolutely HATES that I'm smoking.  It's a process, and I'm working on it.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
Good Luck unto you, Bunni.  It is a hard road to move off of when you've traveled it for so long....

I hoping the terrible part is over relatively soon...  I've been borderline hallucinating, psychotic and homicidal for a couple days now....  I don't know if it's better or worse that I'm 'on vacation'.  On the one hand I might have eviscerated someone by now at work, but I also have WAY too much time on my hands to obsess...  a couple more days until I feel vaguely human again?
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Bunni

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »
Good Luck unto you, Bunni.  It is a hard road to move off of when you've traveled it for so long....

I hoping the terrible part is over relatively soon...  I've been borderline hallucinating, psychotic and homicidal for a couple days now....  I don't know if it's better or worse that I'm 'on vacation'.  On the one hand I might have eviscerated someone by now at work, but I also have WAY too much time on my hands to obsess...  a couple more days until I feel vaguely human again?

I don't know when you'll feel human again, but I can tell you this; food will taste awesomely better, and you will most likely gain weight because it does!  That's one of the killer side effects for me when I quit...I gain, and I can't lose it due to Hypothyroidism.  I have degenerative disk disease, arthritis and fibromyalgia.  Weight is not helpful.

Best of luck to you!!  Take pride in the accomplishment :)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:42 AM »
Thanks, Bunni.  I am about ready to give it a try.  My Doc told me any reduction is a good thing.  One of the few times less is better.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline toddnkaya

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 04:41:54 PM »
1 and a half years since I quit !! Feeling groovy .

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 09:01:36 PM »
Good to hear. 

Congratulations.

It's good to be alive!!!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 09:47:34 PM »
1 and a half years since I quit !! Feeling groovy .

That is awesome.   I never smoked but I watched my parents wrestle with it.   My Dad was so good at quitting that he did it at least a half dozen times.   Congrats!!!