Author Topic: Polk SDA 1 tweeter needed  (Read 6801 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Polk SDA 1 tweeter needed
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »
I am again seeking help for my dad's system. It seems every time I make a trip to erie I find another issue!! The most recent is a blown sl1000 (non peerless) tweeter from the sda side. I pulled the fuse and it was a 5A :o.... I think that just might have something to do with it... Anyway, I searched around and have had no luck finding an original polk sl1000. Any help?
Thx
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Polk SDA 1 tweeter needed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
I only have a peerless.

Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
What's the difference. I just read a forum where the guy was looking for an sl1000 and one of the repliers told him that if he was to go with the peerless he should replace all 4. Is that necessary?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
OCCD is a good source but you might want to check out the Polk site.  I know members are always upgrading and reselling their spare drivers.  Also give Polk a call.  They tend to be very good about spare parts on the SDA's.

Also...F1nut on our site is also a great resouce on Polk speakers.  He is the President of the Polk forum.  I hope he will see this and chime in.  If not send him a PM.  Very good guy to ask about these speakers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:05:54 PM by thuffman03 »
Got Carver?

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:24 AM »
Hello,

Let me look around, I know I have at least  1 of those lying around, if you still need it.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »
king-edwin

OOPS!  They are sl2000, look the same, not sure if it will work for you.  I have 2, 1 has small dimple in the dome.  Let me know if you think you can use them.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:37 AM »
it looks like with the 2000 I'd have to do some crossover work and I'd like to avoid that. Thank for the offer though ;)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:48:14 AM »
If they were my speakers I would disable both SDA tweeters and forget about it. That said, about the only places to find a SL1000 would be in the Polk Flea Market or on eBay.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
That is not a bad idea F1nut!  Even Polk took the tweeter out of the sda part of the speaker in later models.  Might balance out the sound between the two speakers, yet leave the sda effect intact.  If nothng else this might make the speakers usable until a replacement is found.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:00:08 PM by OCCD »
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 01:02:18 AM »
Yeah Dale, the problem with the SDA tweeter is that it creates an un-natural effect, which as you mentioned, Polk realized and corrected.

king-edwin, if you do disconnect the SDA tweeters, you may find the regular stereo tweeters a bit too hot. Simply increase the resistor value in series with the stereo tweeter to tame it down.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."