Author Topic: 1994 Buick Regal GS issues...  (Read 5726 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
1994 Buick Regal GS issues...
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
My regular garage (usually does great job at great price) is still not solving my "check engine light" and car engine running rough issues... 

Symptoms:
Check engine light often comes on, engine runs rough, at times has little power, has stalled (but will start right back up), seems to have some trouble shifting lower gears, & bad acceleration...

Since it is a '94, Advance Auto can NOT run a code check for the "check engine light"  I have a tentative scheduled appt. for Cochran Buick service in Monroeville for Friday morn...

Done:
Replaced all plugs and wires & general tuneup
Replaced mast air flow sensor
Replaced gas and air filters
Filled/checked transmission fluid

Any thoughts???   
THANKS!!!
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: 1994 Buick Regal GS issues...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
May be a vacuum leak. Check around the manifold.  Just noticed transmission problem, check vacuum lines to tranny and modulator valve.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »
Thanks Mr. Kingman!   :) 
That was one of the first things I asked the mechanic...  He said if it was a vacuum leak, it would run rough ALL the time.  It runs rough when you first start it, maybe 10 seconds, but then it is fine most times...  It starts like a champ...  When not using gas, idling/coasting, engine is smooth...  Have not been able to isolate WHEN it only runs rough...   :(

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
I think Cochran is a waste, the techs at a new car store usually just replace parts, that's what your mechanic did.  You need an old school mechanic to do test work, not guess work and if you only need the code read, I have the proper tool and I am in Tarentum.  Pm me if you want to borrow it. 
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Dicky

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »
Get me a code and I could probably do a better diagnosis, it sounds like a few issues if I am reading correctly.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
Get me a code and I could probably do a better diagnosis, it sounds like a few issues if I am reading correctly.

I concur with Dicky.

As a slight bonus, whatever is causing your engine to perform poorly may be causing your shifting issues.

George, did your mechanic actually perform a vacuum leak down or smoke test or did he just make that claim? I've seen a few oddball cases where a vacuum leak was present under certain conditions but were not constant; for example, my friends and I chased down a perforated diaphragm in a brake power booster for weeks. It was only problematic periodically so we never thought to pursue a vacuum issue.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:27:59 PM »
Dicky & 8 whats?,
Since it is a 1994, Advance Auto can't get a code...  Should I take it to Cochran and spend close to $100 for a code?  Not sure that he did the vacuum leak down or smoke test...

thank s for comments...
George

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
check from online automotive forums. Some 1994 vehicles will allow you to check the codes thru a series of flashing check engine light when you jumper 2 pins in the fuse box under the hood.
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Dicky

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »
If you are near brookline I may be able to pull it for you, or take up Non Prophet if you are closer to him.  As far as going to the dealer it is up to you and your wallet. 

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »
George - Your car has OBD I. You can buy an OBD I GM scanner for <$20. The instructions are straight forward. The scanner will give you the code. Once you have the code, then we move forward.

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
I know you're in Penn Hills, I would recommend Bernie at Roth Automotive in Verona.

http://www.cartalk.com/pa/verona/125240/roth-automotive

I've been taking cars to him for 20+ years, he's great and honest.

-j
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

BB3

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
I'd bet it's your O-2 sensors are shot. Have that checked and replace with Bosch units.--------Bill

BB3

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »
Sorry George. I forgot to mention that the Throttle Body is all saturated with carbon residue.------Bill

NATOE

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
The computers on them cars like to work sometimes and sometimes no. Gm has a simple test called the tap test. Find the computer usually passenger foot kick panel start the car and tap the computer with a screw driver handle if it changes then it's the computer.

Anders

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »
My Prius is having a somewhat similar issue.
The issue I originally had was that when you started the gas engine it would run rough and make noise but only at a certain idle speed.
It seem to have 3 idle speeds and the middle one is rough.
Took it to a repair shop in Murrysville and I was told I needed a tune up.
So not only did I need new plugs but I needed ignition coils too which ended up costing $900 !
It now runs worse than ever and I just put it in Drive right away to avoid the idle.
I don't think I needed the ignition coils at all.
Car was doing the same thing when I picked it up after the repairs.
The tech looked at it and said "I don't know why it's doing that"
I took the car back in at a later date and they said the valve lifters had to be re-machined at a cost of another $1000.
I said I don't think so and I left.