Author Topic: My first Stromberg-Carlson  (Read 15890 times)

bmwr75

Re: My first Stromberg-Carlson
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
....don't get me started lying. 

I don't get it.   All I was asking is if a coupling cap failure will damage associated components.   I understand about sound quality and know that can be controversial, but that isn't the question I was asking.

You know so very much more than me and have been exceedingly generous.   I wouldn't deliberately put you in a bad spot.

No ill intent assumed on my part.  Just didn't want to act like I knew the correct answer to your question.  Do know an amp will a bad coupling cap can cause the power tube downstream of the coupling cap to red plate.  That can cause the power tube to fail, which might also take out the output transformer it is connected to.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
Thanks for all of your help, Scott.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 11:39:57 PM »
So, today I broke out my Leak Stereo 20 to try with the PAS 3. Turns out it's not the input of the SC that is hot, but the output on the Dynaco. It was just as hot into the Leak as into the SC. It also turns out that after changing four caps, I think I actually like the sound of this console pull better than the Leak. I might be crazy, but in this setting it sounded better to me. Much more experimenting to be done.

Oh, and the in line attenuators did bring the gain to a more reasonable level, but they also gave an unacceptable coloration to the tone.   Maybe these ones are just junk (I don't remember where I got them) or maybe they alter something besides just the level.