Author Topic: Anybody re-cap there vintage speakers?  (Read 17070 times)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Re: Anybody re-cap there vintage speakers?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:56 AM »
1. We're talking about shunt caps, yes? If that's the case then yes, that would be somewhat true, but film caps are still a better choice resulting in improved bass response.

2. Crossovers are generally divided into high, mid and low frequency circuits with specific cap values for each. With that in mind, you cannot have a situation as you describe. What you can have is a film cap bypassing an electrolytic in say the high frequency circuit, which would be the most common use. This film bypass cap will pass a certain frequency range within the specific frequency range faster than the electrolytic.

3. If I'm understanding your comment correctly, it doesn't work that way.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
Re: Anybody re-cap there vintage speakers?
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
Hello again F1nut and all,

I think that perhaps I was unclear in my last post.  Yes, I am talking about a shunt cap.  And as for 3 in your post, I was thinking of say a Mid Driver working from 6-800 hz to tweeter cutoff.  The cap might be a 30- 60 mf (values chosen as an example), and if I put a film cap around it, I thought the film cap would pass the higher frequencies with less smear, and the NPE the lower where the energy stored has more time to be released.

And now that I have read this, maybe the film cap should only be 20-30 % of the total value, keeping the lower frequencies in the NPE.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-