Author Topic: Belt vs. Direct Drive  (Read 10538 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Belt vs. Direct Drive
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »
I can't believe this discussion hasn't been started yet!! I'm a fan of belt myself. Any way to isolate the motor seems smart to me. Of course if you are DJing the quick start-up and lack of belt wear and replacement of DD would obviously have it's perks.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline e_just

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Belt vs. Direct Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »
 I have been DJing for many years and wouldn't dream of using anything other than Direct Drive, turntables, specifically Technics SL1200 or 1100A. That is, when I'm DJing.
 I have been planing on buying a better Belt Driven TT for home listening. I am currently using a Goldring GR1 which is identical to a Rega P1. For sound quality, I think belt drive wins.
Pioneer SA-9100 TX-9100 SA 5200 CT F7272 HPM-100, KLH 5, 6, 17,  Marantz 1060, Technics 1100A, 1200m3d, Thorens TD111, Goldring GR1

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »
I've got 3 working and 3 non belt drives and 2 direct that work. I love the ole belt (cause I'm old!) , but the direct drive is a good table too! If I were gonna buy a new one, I would go with direct drive. But all I buy is old stuff!!!!!  8) 8) 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

BB3

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the subject matter Gents. But the only Turntables that I ever recall listening to, was a Garrard(sp.?) and then later on I guess was a fairly high end Technics that I know was Direct Drive and unfortunately I can't recall the model# to it. ??? :-[

Anyways, I do remember a couple of things.......the Technics was built like a tank and the sound that it produced through my Fathers Marantz equipment was spectacular to say the least.
So.....My question is, if I were to buy a turntable for home use only, should I buy one that's belt or direct drive driven ? I'm sure there even more factors involved than just those two.......

Thank You Gentlemen.-----BILL

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
I think that either kind if well built can do a fine job, but I like belt drive.  However, even some of the old rim drives sound pretty good and are quite collectible.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
I've owned 3 DD (all technics) and 2 belt. The technics sounded nice and were built like tanks, but they weren't as quiet and the belts. I think the best dd I had was a sl1700?? and it was a good sounding tt (once I mated it with a good cartridge), but it was sold once I picked up a newer dual belt. That was the turning point for me. As for the build quality, the 1700 had it all the way, but the dual just sounded better. I'm now using a musichall mmf5 which smokes them all. I think all in all you are going to  get what you pay for (a cheap belt is going to sound like shit), but in the $300+ range belt is going to sound better imho. I have listened to a totl vintage Yamaha DD with a v15 that sounded damn nice, but that was an expensive and complicated machine dedicated to music listening in DD's heyday.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
Anyone looking for an 1800 mkII Technics.  I have 1 in original box that is showroom looking with 681eee, and can thro in a spare nos stylus for the right price.  Only thing that does not work is the armlift, works great in manual.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
I lean toward the belt tables. ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline YSRACER

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »
After moving from my 1970's mid-fi Pioneer DD, to a Music Hall MMF-7, to a Sota Sapphire with mega-buck arm, to a Technics 1200 DD, to a old, refurbished Lenco on a 7 layer home made plinth.............. I have concluded the answer is neither !  - It's Rim Drive For Me  ;D
Squeezebox w/Welborne Labs PS / Benchmark DAC1 / Emotive Audio Erato / Aspen Lifeforce / Speaker of the Month

BB3

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:27 PM »
I lean toward the belt tables. ;D

Somehow I'm not a bit surprised Tom. ::) You are after all, the Master of Repairing / Replacing Belts in CD Players...... ;D

----BILL(BB3)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »
I sort of figgered there had to be a rim drive fan or two in the forum!  Most people seem to think belt or dd is all there is! ;D
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline desperado915

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »
I have both. I have a Pioneer PL-41 belt drive from that late sixties and two real nice Sony direct drives from the late 70's. The PS-X50 I have is fairly high end for its day. I like them both, but I really do appreciate the simplicity of an all manual belt drive.

Offline e_just

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
What the heck is RIM Drive? Never heard of it.

I have heard many good things about the stability of Idler Wheel TT's. I have a very Old Thorens Idler Wheel model that is awaiting a tonearm. I really have to get it up and running.
Eric
Pioneer SA-9100 TX-9100 SA 5200 CT F7272 HPM-100, KLH 5, 6, 17,  Marantz 1060, Technics 1100A, 1200m3d, Thorens TD111, Goldring GR1

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
Eric,

The Idler usually contacts the table on the outside edge (rim) underneath.  Thorens, VPI, Garrard, benjamin miracord, lenco have all used
 this method to varying degrees of success.  Rim Drive is what us old guys call it.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »
Eric

Check out new version at this link.
http://www.vpiindustries.com/products_rim.htm
Dale

-Still Smoking!-