Author Topic: Favorite Vodka  (Read 16670 times)

SunnyDaze

Re: Favorite Vodka
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 12:34:28 AM »
I'm a fan of Belvedere. I also like Ciroc.

I haven't had a good vodka hangover for a while now. Maybe my body is telling me something.

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 11:13:42 AM »
Belvedere is THE BEST vodka I've ever tasted; I wasn't really a fan of vodka until I tried it.
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

SunnyDaze

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
Yeah. Belvedere does not suck. Also, check out Dan Aykroyd's Crystal Head. It's not bad either.

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Actually Gin is just flavored Vodka.

Once when alone and homesick in Garmish, I would just go into a bar and order a shot of Gin just to smell the pine trees of home.

Try a light (wonderful) gin like BOODLES over ice, and your Vodka days may be over.

Offline Turtle

• Basshole!
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »
Russian Standard for me.  Makes great martini's.
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Marantz SA15S2/Rega P3, Parasound P3, Parasound A21, Monitor Audio RS6

Offline DaveS

• OCCD Extraordinaire
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »
Mixed drinks, the cheapest stuff I can find, STRAIGHT OUT OF THE FREEZER STOLY`S

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 11:33:49 AM »
You guys have GOT to try Tito's Handmade Vodka; Simply Amazing!

Here's a review by VodkaBuzz:

Vodka Review: Tito's Handmade Vodka

Rating
    5 out of 5 shots
Bang For The Buck
    5 out of 5 shots
User Rating
    4.5600 out of 5 shots
Average Price
    $17.85 per 750 mL / See By State / You add a price you've seen if you join VodkaBuzz.
Percent Alcohol
Distilled From
    Corn
Times Distilled
Charcoal Filtered
    Yes
Produced By
    Fifth Generation Inc
Website
    Tito's Handmade Vodka
Cap Type
    Plastic Screw On

Identifying Features

Shiny copper-colored cap. "Old map" colored labels that exude an old-Western feel.
Written on the Bottle

Tito's Handmade Vodka, Unanimous Double Gold Medal Winner of the World Spirits Competition! Distilled six times. Tito's Handmade vodka is designed to be savored by spirit connoisseurs. It is micro-distilled in an old-dashioned pot still, just like the fine single malt scotches and high-end French cognacs. This time-honored method of distillation requires more skill and effort than modern column stills, but it;s well worth it. Our handcrafted technique offers more control over the distillation process, resulting in a spectacularly clean product of incomparable excellence. Only the heart of the run, "the nectar" is taken, leaving behind residual higher and lower alcohols. the vodka is cleansed of phenols, esters, congeners, and organic acids it filtering it through the finest activated carbon available. Critics call Tito's "a homegrown symphonic spirit to applaud" and say, "it can go head to head with any of the world's greats and not break a sweat!" Shake once from the freezer. It's in the bottle, so enjoy! No sugar or gelatin added.
Review

I received a suggestion from a reader to review Tito's Handmade Vodka. He said all other vodka was swill compared to Tito's. I decided I should find that vodka as soon as I could. It took awhile, but I finally got my hands on Tito's Handmade Vodka.

According to the website, they'd rather spend money on developing the vodka than marketing. That shows from the utter lack of advertising and simple packaging. While it won't make them a ton of money, I appreciate the goal of the company. The laid back attitude of the Austin, Texas based distiller is right up my ally.
The Shot

I wasn't expecting anything, but I was floored by this vodka. The shot, even warm, is completely neutral. Tito's Handmade Vodka is simply ethanol and water. The only taste is the standard ethanol burn. The shot went down smooth and required no chaser. Tito's vodka achieved the goal of making a vodka even girls could drink straight. This is a wonderful shooting vodka.
The Mixed Drink

I mixed Tito's Handmade Vodka with Simply Orange Juice. The screwdriver is what you'd expect if you were mixing water with your orange juice instead of vodka. The vodka doesn't alter the flavor at all beyond making the orange juice taste diluted as though you left ice cubes sitting in it.
Opinions

Tito's Handmade Vodka is vodka at its finest. It is perfect for sipping or mixing. Even at double the price, Tito's would still be worth every penny. If you can buy Tito's Handmade Vodka in your area, you should be drinking it.

TNRabbit

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »
Vodka's that are all better than grey goose, the most overrated alcohol ever!  Does anyone who drinks grey goose drink it neat or on the rocks, other than shots...never.  Its women's vodka.

Chopin, my favorite, potato vodka is best
Ciroc, made from grapes, I have a personal bottle at my local bar
Boyd & Blair, another fine potato vodka
Kettle one, with a little citrus is unbelievable, Mardi Gras in shady side will prove this
Mezzaluna, Italian grain vodka, great tasting hard to find
Zubrowka, Polish, made from grass, excellent with apple juice, great for the holidays
Luksusowa, Polish potato, cheap and good
Kassers, $6.98 a fifth, tastes awful but mixes excellent for parties and getting your date drunk cheap before the bar.  clean, no hangover.

Tito's and Belvedere are also good, just not my preference.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »
Just picked up 2 bottles of boyd & blair.
It is a fantastic vodka and I like to support them
Since they are local.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
I'm a fan of Belvedere. I also like Ciroc.

I haven't had a good vodka hangover for a while now. Maybe my body is telling me something.

I tried Ciroc recently; VERY impressive.
TNRabbit