Author Topic: DIY Project With Polk RT-400 Cabinets...  (Read 4037 times)

SunnyDaze

DIY Project With Polk RT-400 Cabinets...
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:15:52 AM »
Well, I got the $20 "Excellent" RT 400's on CL. Both tweeters are blown. One woofer is blown. Excellent they are.

Also an apology goes out to Little Mikey. He really wanted these. I prematurely posted on here looking to trade them, and my chickens hatched. Sorry dude.

I've found a few things out:
- These cabinets are doornails. Completely dead. I would love to throw drivers in them and bring them back to life.  
- The drivers are no longer produced or stocked by Polk.
- The cabinets require a 7 3/4 woofer. Good luck.

My options would be either mill the cabinets and use an 8" driver (preferably not), or adapt a 7" or 6" unit by somehow modifying the cabinets.

What do yinz think?

OR... Does anyone happen to just have one (or two) Polk MW-8002's laying around? (Har har)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:23:57 AM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: DIY Project With Polk RT-400 Cabinets...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 03:45:10 AM »
If you are patient, you will find another woofer. Search on Club Polk. Put a wanted listing on there. Anytime you buy something untested you stand the chance of getting screwed, no matter how honest the seller seems.
   I bought a MINT Nakamichi CD-4 Cd player at a flea market a few years ago, the seller was a little old man, who said, I swear to god, it works perfect!! He is probably in hell now, cause that f**king thing would not read a CD, the laser was toast. I thought I scored one for $20.00, I got burned. But, I did sell the remote and manual on epray for $30.00. I really wanted that CD player to work.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
Maybe see if parts express will re-cone it.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 04:14:18 AM »
Re-coning is not an issue so much as re-coiling. I don't know what the industry considers "re-coning" to be. 

Tweeters, eh, I can find something from PE that'll work. That's minor. But yeah. That is a good idea. I'll give them a shout on Monday. Thanks Mike.