Author Topic: looking for fishing/vacation spot  (Read 5527 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
looking for fishing/vacation spot
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
My wife and I are planning to go on a fishing trip for my 60th birthday next week.  We'd like a location maximum about 2 hours from Pittsburgh.  Our goal is a place that has nearby motels (Motel 6 is fine) and the water close to parking.  We will be in a trail rated Jeep so getting to water's edge where permissible won't be a problem.  In fact that would be preferable.  Me having to walk other than a very short distance is a problem.
Would prefer to stay in Pennsylvania due to fishing license and carry permit.
Thanks

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: looking for fishing/vacation spot
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
My wife and I are planning to go on a fishing trip for my 60th birthday next week.  We'd like a location maximum about 2 hours from Pittsburgh.  Our goal is a place that has nearby motels (Motel 6 is fine) and the water close to parking.  We will be in a trail rated Jeep so getting to water's edge where permissible won't be a problem.  In fact that would be preferable.  Me having to walk other than a very short distance is a problem.
Would prefer to stay in Pennsylvania due to fishing license and carry permit.
Thanks

You might want to check out Cook Forest. I'd imagine there are lots of places to fish up there, plus it's a cool vacation place, lots of cabins, etc.

http://cookforest.com/activities/fishing/index.cfm

Fishing in Cook Forest

Clarion River - The Clarion River flows along the park border and provides fishing for trout, warm water game fish and panfish.

Stocked Ponds - A special fishing pond stocked with trout is located in the park and is available for use by children 12 and younger and persons who are handicapped. There is a level grass bank at the edge of the pond which provides easy access for those with disabilities.

Tom's Run - Approximately 2.5 miles of Tom's Run is stocked with trout.

Kiddie Fishing Program - The Kiddies Fishing program keeps the fish stocked all summer, with at least 300 fish for the kids. Learn more about this program and how you can help.

Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
The PA side of Pymatuning has good access, as do parts of French creek between Meadville and Cochranton on Rt 285.  Conneaut Lake also has some great fishing and a number of hotels around the lake (decent restaurants too).  I believe you can rent boats as well
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
I second Pymatuning.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »
I suggest Tygart Lake.  It's below Morgantown.  http://www.tygartlake.com/

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.  Not well enough for any kind of trip now but maybe down the road...
thanks