Author Topic: Does Vintage Hi-Fi exist???  (Read 11330 times)

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Does Vintage Hi-Fi exist???
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 01:35:26 AM »
I'd love to know what "assistant" ever said "Tom was rarely in anymore".

A member there should flag that post. It's a straight up lie.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

bearjew

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »
Well Anders is a tech, and then there have been a few "interns".

I hope this isn't pointing a finger at me.  At most, I have said that the shop is moving.

And I don't go on the Carver Site Forum

NATOE

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
Is my amp done n at?

Bunni

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
Chances are there was no assistant that said anything.  Someone stirring the pot perhaps? 

Bunni

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
Well Anders is a tech, and then there have been a few "interns".

I hope this isn't pointing a finger at me.  At most, I have said that the shop is moving.

And I don't go on the Carver Site Forum

Sorry if I made you feel that way BJ, there were interns before you too.  I was just answering the question.  I don't think anyone would say such a thing.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
No more service from the carver site... Thank God.   We don't need more work. We are too busy as it is and we will be doing more mods than service in the future.  It is amazing how many clueless people think $150.00 to $200.00 to repair a major  piece of gear  is gouging. I am done with that crap.  Send it off to Roland!  $80 for a pair of Wima bypasses. LOL!!!!!He will charge  you out the ass and won't even give you a reach around. And that is if he doesn't steal your Lightstars.  Here is the deal...  We don't want 14-16 weeks of backlog work littering the new shop.  How it will be down the road for Carver gear and any gear for that matter, If we know you, we will help you out.  Most of the mother f**kers have no clue what is involved in repairing anything and/or  operating a small business that is over fing severely whelmed with work. Trying to be nice has really placed me in a bad position. In trying to make the business better and fun again, the current move/ construction/ organization is actually going well. The down side is, this started in January and there is another four to six weeks to go. I work 16 hour every f**king day and hear the phone ringing off the hook. Can I answer it.  hell no. not a f**king thing will get done if i was a good guy and answered the phone. Can't get to emails much either.  Should I care, absolutely. Do I care RIGHT NOW. f**k NO! VHFP is changing like it or not. Don't be upset if we refuse your work. The stress level needs to drop. And for the people that block their number, we never answer a blocked number just for fun!  I am done venting.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:29:17 AM by OCCD »
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Bunni

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 02:13:20 PM »
The shop area is AMAZING!  I love the new listening room as well.  I know it's a ton of work too, and wish you had more help to do it.

Anders is a great repair tech, but building/construction...not his skill set at all.  I'm actually the one who knows rehab, but no longer physically able.

I know Anders is looking forward to getting the shop area workable so he can start working on stuff again. 

Offline Rockman Rock

• Double Secret Probation!
  • How about a taxi grab.....
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »
I visited the old place once with Carl. You have definitely moved up! NICE place!

I was self employed once upon a time. Most folks have no idea when they are on the outside looking in.
Salk SoundScape 8's / Audio Research Reference 3 / Bottlehead Eros Phono / Krell KSA-250 / diy Lenco w/AA MG-1 arm / diy Dual Mono Buffalo III DAC / Denon 3910 I2S/DSD out mod / SB Touch 12S out mod / diy Cinemag SUT

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
Looks great, Tom.  The shop area sparkles.  It's obvious you are busy.  What is under construction?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
Hopefully next time I get up to Pittsburgh I can see the place!
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »
The place looks really good Tom!  The transition will take some time.  Your loyal customers will always come to you because of the great work, nice equipment and fair prices.

Rock on Tom!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
I interpreted this as being a philosophical question.

In accordance with the Heideggerian / Sartrean notions of existence, then, it most certainly does.

;D

bearjew

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 07:24:14 AM »
Looks great, Tom.  The shop area sparkles.  It's obvious you are busy.  What is under construction?

Everything.  If you could see it from how it was to how it is now, you literally wouldn't recognize it.  All the walls were taken down.  He already has the listening room and the office configured.  The workbenches are in the basement; there's TONS of space down there.  Once the place is done, it'll be brilliant.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »
He already has the listening room 
Glad he took my idea and ran with it!  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 09:16:12 AM »
I'm glad to hear the shop is making progress and from the pics compared to when I was out there initially it's come a long way.

Are repairs being done at this time? if so I need to drop off a Luxman that needs a little bit of work on the tuner.