Author Topic: 'New' Cornwalls, et al.  (Read 4305 times)

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
'New' Cornwalls, et al.
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »
I've rather gotten into the swing of things... hobby obsessions have changed, waxed and waned but the desire to check out new, if not better, gear in whatever I'm doing always takes hold.

I found a good deal on a pair of '75 Cornwalls, oiled walnut, great overall condition, original white grills (with badges!) along with a spare set in black, at a price that -I felt- made a quickie trip to Western NJ and back Saturday to grab 'em a no brainer.  Moment of panic set in when I wasn't entirely sure, despite pre-measuring, whether they'd fit in my Sube... but I made the tough decision to ditch the original boxes to make room.  Fortunately the nearly 40yo cardboard was disintegrating as we manhandled the beasts anyway so I'm not all that disappointed.

As much as I thought my Fortes were the bee's knees, heck I -well, mainly 8W!- even recapped them but a week prior.   The Cornwalls were everything I'd hoped for and more.  Giant soundstage, very full and lively from sweet highs to rich mid range to big effortless bottom end. 

The Dynaco and 6V6 Magnavox both sound exceptional through them, each with their own signature stamp.  I'll have to try the lil' SE EL84 Maggie at some point, but it has 'ghetto terminals' and haven't gotten around to it.

preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: 'New' Cornwalls, et al.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
Lookin good! Glad you like them, always nice to get your hands on something you've desired for a long time.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »
They look just about new.   I understand the road trip motivation.  I once drove to Binghamton and back in a day to pick up a pair of speakers.  Gas expense was far less costly than shipping.  I had the empty boxes shipped separately as they did not fit in my car.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
They look great RT.  I am looking for an excuse to set up a second music system (well,  a third if I consider the crap system I have in the shop where I work on stuff) somewhere in the house and the thought of combining a maggotbox with a high efficiency speakers from Klipsch is appealing.

OBG

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:49 AM »
Very nice, those are fun speakers and I'm sure you'll enjoy them
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
As much as I thought my Fortes were the bee's knees, heck I -well, mainly 8W!- even recapped them but a week prior.

That could be your problem!  >:D

Enjoy the new speakers man. They sound fantastic.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
Thanks one and all. 

....anyone see any Klipschorn around at a decent price? LOL
Spendor FL9

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
There's still a pair of La Scala's in Morgantown... Only asking $1950... http://morgantown.craigslist.org/ele/4518060161.html

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
There's still a pair of La Scala's in Morgantown... Only asking $1950... http://morgantown.craigslist.org/ele/4518060161.html

LOL.  I've seen the ad indeed.  Seems high enough to file under delusional AFAIK, hundreds of dollars more than recent solds on eBay.  God bless and more power to him if/when he finds a buyer, but my interest might be piqued at prices below $1500.  I'd be hard pressed to believe the improvements in sound would be worth 4X my Cornwalls!
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
They look great RT.  I am looking for an excuse to set up a second music system (well,  a third if I consider the crap system I have in the shop where I work on stuff) somewhere in the house and the thought of combining a maggotbox with a high efficiency speakers from Klipsch is appealing.

OBG

You should have a Maggotbox and a small full range open baffle in your office.   Mind you, the office speaker you have is adequate, but it lacks "audiophile street cred".

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »

LOL.  I've seen the ad indeed.  Seems high enough to file under delusional AFAIK, hundreds of dollars more than recent solds on eBay.  God bless and more power to him if/when he finds a buyer, but my interest might be piqued at prices below $1500.  I'd be hard pressed to believe the improvements in sound would be worth 4X my Cornwalls!

Are you saying you got the Cornwalls for $325!   That is certainly worth a road trip.   Congrats on the new speakers.   They are beautiful.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »

Are you saying you got the Cornwalls for $325!   That is certainly worth a road trip.   Congrats on the new speakers.   They are beautiful.

No, not quite that good.  I picked them up for $500 +gas + my time.  Not quite the steal-of-the-century, but I think well worth it.

I don't know if I'll regret it, but the Fortes are already sold... still got my Heresys upstairs on system 2.
Spendor FL9

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
Congrats on the new speakers.  They look to be in excellent condition!  Those speakers were made for a nice tube preamp and amplifier.

Great looking system in a very comfy room!
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
I can't keep up with you guys, both the posts and the speaker upgrades!  It is fun, though.  Enjoy.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
Congrats on the new speakers.  They look to be in excellent condition!  Those speakers were made for a nice tube preamp and amplifier.

Great looking system in a very comfy room!

Thanks, Carl.  I've got an ear to the ground on a decent tube pre-amp but haven't found one quite yet.  Right now, the gear fund is pretty depleted anyway; I'll need to purge some stuff before anything new comes in.
Spendor FL9