Author Topic: Styli replacement?  (Read 4322 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Styli replacement?
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
Deciding if I want to get replacement styli for the following cartridges...

Shure M95ED
ADC QLM
Technics P23

Please shoot me your thoughts/comments...  I'm only leaning toward getting a stylus for the M95ED...

thanks!
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Styli replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »
Not sure of the cost, but believe the Sure might be worth it.  I have no experience with the others.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur

Offline Reverend

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »
A word of caution.  Don't use a generic replacement stylus's like GDV has noted.  They are junk and you will not get the proper factory sound back.  Spend a little extra money and make sure it's a Shure/ADC/Technics branded stylus.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Attn Rev...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
Where can you purchase a "Shure branded" stylus where I'm not breaking the bank?

Thanks!!!
George

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
I second Rev, I had a generic replacement of a shure stylus and it was bad.  It should have felt bad. 
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
They're available online, ebay, etc.  You have to figure out if the cost of a new factory stylus is worth it.  In some cases you might be able to buy a new or used cart for what you would pay for a correct stylus.  I would research the selling price of each cart you mention, find the factory stylus and determine if it's worth replacing.

Here's an example.  I had this Shure cart a few years ago.  It is the updated version of the 95 you reference.  On needle doctor it is selling for $89 ($75 on amazon).  The factory Shure stylus sells for $75.  Is it worth replacing the stylus?  Hell no.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Features?search=Shure+M97XE 

Anders

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »
Why not just get a new Grado cartridge ?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
I don't quite agree with Rev.   NOS styli can have dried suspensions and be worse than the cheapest generic.   I say get new styli, but get them from a reputable supplier.   The Phanstihl stuff is very dicey, but the EVGs that I've bought have all been excellent.   Then of course there is Jico, which are not only better than name brand now, it is better than the name brands ever were.   Especially the SAS stuff.

IMHO, the stylus is actually more important than the cartridge.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
I thought EVG was for old as hell turntables?  What it really comes down to is are you going to spend more than half the value of the cartridge for a stylus when you can purchase a new cart instead.  Unless you start getting into carts that are costing much more money Jico and any upgraded stylus's don't make sense either.  I agree with Thrifty that if you're looking to replace a stylus on a cart that has not been made in quite some time, NOS could be a gamble.  If you're looking to replace a stylus on a cart that is still in production, factory is the way to go every time.  And like Ander's noted, a new Grado would be a much better option.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
I got a Grado Green for my dad's Technics SL-QD33 from Tom a while back. It sounds great for the price.

If you're going to spend be spending in that ballpark, why not go with the sure thing, not the Shure thing? :)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:22:36 PM »
I put an EVG for $12 on an old AT81 (IIRC) cart and it was criminal how good it was.   Not quite the detail of my 440, but waaaay better than it had any right being.   If you want, George, you can come over and hear it.   I have that stylus and then got a deal on a slightly used Shibata for the same cart.   You can compare.   The Shibata is excellent, but the cheap EVG is really decent.   Many of the EVGs are made in Japan and there is more than a little speculation that those come from the Jico factory.   

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »
Here is a made in Japan (avoid Switzerland), claims to be a Jico, from a reputable seller for $15 with free shipping.   Not much of a gamble to see what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-RECORD-NEEDLE-TURNTABLE-STYLUS-SHURE-N-95ED-N95-M95-M-95ED-767-DED-767-DE-/201078991583?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item2ed13deadf

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
I don't see a good one for the ADC.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
Nothing for the Technics either.