Author Topic: Ignorant new user looking for a new habit  (Read 10825 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Ignorant new user looking for a new habit
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
Pick up a cheap garage/Thrift sale receiver for $5 or $10 for practice and have no fear.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
There's alot of good information in this thread. I have several pieces of tube gear and love them all. Don't be afraid to jump in but beware of the high voltages as they can be dangerous. One of the best rigs I ever heard was a 12 watt amp powering some little Polk speakers at CarverFest several years ago. Great soundstaging, bass extension and a nice lush midrange. The little amp came out of a console got cleaned up and sounded fabulous. Good luck on your journey!

ray   
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

Offline Mad Dog

• FNG !!!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 05:08:21 AM »
Learning about all this myself and was seeking a tube amplifier specifically for vinyl. When people mention consoles, are they referring to the old "hi-fi" cabinets that have a built in record player and look like a piece of furniture?

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 06:16:11 AM »
Learning about all this myself and was seeking a tube amplifier specifically for vinyl. When people mention consoles, are they referring to the old "hi-fi" cabinets that have a built in record player and look like a piece of furniture?

That is correct, folks like to pull the original amps and set them up as 'free-standing" units.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Dicky

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 08:44:35 AM »
Great thread there, never saw that.  Thanks Dicky.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Mad Dog

• FNG !!!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »
Thanks Dicky, I was reading that thread... and of course browsing craigslist. Also got me thinking. Is it feasible to salvage tube amplifier from organs? I see them for free on there all time

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
It can be, but the gain matching is all over the place.   An amp from a console will usually have inputs at least close to modern source outputs, but organs (being self contained) have gain stages all over the place.   If you are good with circuitry (I'm not) you may be able to design mods.   I usually go to AK and ask if such and such makes a good stand alone amp.   So far, nothing has.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
Plus, there is the issue of stereo VS mono.   If you find two of the same organ, you could have killer monoblocks.   If not, you just have mono.

Dicky

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
In other words, you want to find one of these for under $50. http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/index.php?topic=2727.0

SunnyDaze

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »
Is it feasible to salvage tube amplifier from organs?

Yes and no.

Some are as simple as swapping a few resistors here and there. Others require a complete overhaul to be used as a stand alone hi-fi amp. Of course, all degrees in between those two extremes exist.

FYI / FWIW: Some of the best sounding tube amps I've ever heard are bmwr75's Hammond 6L6 monoblocks.

Caveat emptor.

Offline Mad Dog

• FNG !!!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
Doing a craigslist search a lot of vintage consoles come up. I did a Magnavox search, since that seems to be a common topic on here, and found a few. It appears most people don't know what they are selling. Can you tell if it's a tube amp from the pictures of the turntable and receiver without getting the model number?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »
Not completely.

Anything that says Astro-Sonic is solid state.

If it doesn't say Astro-Sonic and is one of the more "conservative" appearing designs, then it's most likely tube.

Another indicator is a stereo console with the presence of FM but no FM Stereo option. Typically those were the earlier consoles that came about after mono fell out of favor but before FM multiplexing was commonplace.

You can try to join the Magnavoxfriends Yahoo! group if that's your thing. There's good info there. Sometimes they take a while to approve new members. I also wouldn't go in there and announce the fact that you are going to chop up a Maggotbox console for the amp. A lot of those folks don't take very kindly to that sort of thing.  >:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 05:16:15 AM »
Or separete dials for tuning AM and FM.   Those come from the early 60s and are usually tubed.