Author Topic: Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh operational status  (Read 8365 times)

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh operational status
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
[Cross posted from Facebook and G+]

This update is from a friend of Tom's - I am posting on his behalf because he has been very busy lately and I want to provide folks with insight into what's going on. On May 31, Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh moved to its new location. Since that time, Tom has been working non-stop to get things in order so he could resume operations. Unfortunately, things are not always as simple as they may seem.

Here is a back-story about the reason for the move. For more than a few years, Tom - the owner has been struggling to keep the shop in operation; The cost of rent for the shop on top of personal living expenses has been a struggle each and every month. Despite the struggles, Tom refused to change his rates for his services. Some loyal customers would actually insist on paying extra because they knew he was under-charging them.

Tom's vision was to find a place where he could live and work so that he could continue to pursue his passion and serve his customers with fair prices as he has always done in the past. Tom had been searching for a place to fulfill that purpose for quite some time and he finally found it a few months ago and set things in motion to purchase it.

Unfortunately purchasing the place has not been easy; the building was zoned residential/commercial but had been converted completely into office space. There was no kitchen or full bath which meant he could not get a conventional mortgage. Obtaining financing was quite a feat and was accomplished through help from family and friends.

Since the new location was only office space, Tom has been working constantly on dividing up the building to create a living space, showroom and tech bench. This is a major renovation to say the least, and Tom is doing most of the work himself with the help of friends.

Once the new location is ready for him to move into, work must begin on his original home so that he can put it up for sale. Until that is complete, Tom must carry payments of both loans which is quite a bit of pressure. The fact that there is very little income from sales or service because the shop is not yet fully operational compounds the stress factor.

As a result, Tom has been laser focused on completing the renovation efforts which has left no time for him to resume business operations. Tom regrets that he has been unable to answer the phone, or respond to emails regularly but the task at hand demands his full attention.

For those of you who have equipment at the shop, we appreciate your patience and understanding. Please be assured that the shop is not going away. Your equipment is still here and will be attended to as soon as possible. The current target is to have the living space in the new location ready in late August at which time he will be able to focus on the backlog before moving attention to selling his previous home.

We will post additional updates as time progresses.

For the record, the new address is:
4024 Mt. Royal Blvd
Allison Park, Pa 15101
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:45:43 AM by Rest lame brats »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Re: Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh operational status
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
Well written mass email.  I went in and saw the place.  Incredible work ethic on Tom's part.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  A serious thumbs up!
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:44:24 PM »
I wish I had more time to help.   It has been nothing but a pleasure when I have been there.   I also look forward to the finished product.

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
The transformation from what the new place to what it was as of the last time I was there has been impressive. Tom is doing a great job and once it's ready to go it should be really cool. Keep up the good work Tom and if you need anymore help let me know.

Offline vstarkwell

• Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »
Oh one more thing, Tom is my amp done yet?

Offline tube_dan

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
Glad to hear, onwards and upwards!  Told neighbor (who collects Macs and Fishers) he need to check out your (new) location.  :thumbup

Offline icravcarver

• Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
Tom,

We are all behind you.  I hope to get down there soon so I can check out the new digs.  I wish I weren't so damn far away, or I would be able to make a weekend trip to help out.  Who knows, maybe I will at some point before summer is over so I can lend a hand.  Keep plugging.  Don't worry about losing any business, as your loyal customers will remain just that, and will try to bring new ones your way once you are operational.  Think of this as an investment in future fortunes!!!   You will rock once you get this done.

Neil.
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline vf1000ride

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:13 AM »
Any new updates on repair bench progress/getting the backlog caught up? 

Offline ClevelandVinyl

• FNG !!!
  • www.ClevelandVinyl.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
Any updates? What kind of business keeps thousands of dollars of people's equipment and sends out an update every 6 months? I have had a n amp here for 18 months. No returned phone calls, no anything. Ridiculous. I just want it back. Someone have any idea how to do so? Thanks

Greg
Check my eBay store for my latest Audiophile 1st Pressings. Forum Members get free USA shipping!

www.ClevelandVinyl.com

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
Hi Greg -

Understood. We in the forum are fans of the shop but not directly connected with it.  Just to reemphasize (and this is my opinion only) - Vintage HiFi is not a big business with a bunch of employees,  it is a one-man operation,  and that one man had medical difficulties at the same time the shop was relocating (well, as a result of that activity).  He is recovering slowly but surely.  We wish it happened faster but nature is in control. 

On a separate note - the record cleaning service you offer looks interesting - may email you on that!

Regards,

OBG
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:17:51 AM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline ClevelandVinyl

• FNG !!!
  • www.ClevelandVinyl.com
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »
Thanks OBG,
  Happy to clean your records, just email me. It really makes a difference in sound quality...

I certainly can understand a one man operation, Ive run my own business since 07, Besides my wife, I was solo until 2012. I can tell you if I had  stockpile of customers goods and I wasn't able to take care of them, they would shipped back with an apology. Cant one of Tom's Friends start shipping these items back or at least contacting his customers. I'm sure I am one of many unhappy "customers". Ive tried emailing and calling and nothing. Anyone, anyone?

Thanks for letting me vent, just would like my broken M1.5t back so someone else can fix it!

Greg
Check my eBay store for my latest Audiophile 1st Pressings. Forum Members get free USA shipping!

www.ClevelandVinyl.com