The Home Theater Corner > Home Theater Audio

9.2 and 11.2 channel HT Receivers

(1/2) > >>

OldiesButGoodies:
I have been using a Denon 4520Ci for two months now.  Short of writing a long review,  I will highlight two things:

A key objective of buying this unit was to test the value of 9.2 and 11.2 channel reproduction using Audyssey DSX and NeoX surround formats.  My net take is this: not worth the pain of adding 4 speakers for front wide and height.  A 7.1 setup will, in my pinion, satisfy your need for envelopment just fine.  I rarely use it except maybe when watching football games on similar events on TV.

Secondly,  the Audyssey "Platinum" calibration tech *is* worth the extra cost.  The dual subwoofer management and extra filters make a big difference. If you do not have that in your HT receiver and make up for it by using external EQs,  this will simplify your life. 

Cheers,

OBG

AdamG:
I definitely need to step up my audyssey game on my next receiver upgrade. My little marantz Nr-1403 is the base audyssey, it's better than nothing, but I know there is much room for improvement. It really helps with my crappy room layout though, so I have to accept what I can get right now.

OldiesButGoodies:
Agree.  I did a lot of maneuvering using the Behringer feedback destroyer to get the subs to match,  but that is a pain to do - you have to learn the Room EQ wizard software,  get a decent microphone or use the the RatShack level meter's output to try to understand where the issues are,  then enter everything into the DSP1124 with the user interface dating from 1993... etc.  Now I just plug the mic in and the receiver runs a program and voila, the subs are optimized for my crappy room's bass issues in 5 minutes. Not sure if the lesser Audyssey levels have it, but the dynamic volume EQ is also great!  Use 0 db as reference (higher than the -75db I think they recommend) when running the program and it really helps correcting for hearing sensitivity at low volumes.   

OBG

bmwr75:
I sold my home theater to the buyer of our house.   The AVR is a Denon 4308CI that I bought back in 2007.  Have always been pleased with it.

Will be looking for a new AVR when we get the house built down in MS.  Will keep the 4520CI in mind.  OBG, if you were buying again, would you get the 4520CI again?

treos33:
I'm just jealous you have room for an 11.2 set-up.

My 11'x11' living room with doors on three walls, windows on the fourth, and a fire place makes a HT set-up mighty difficult.

If you ever feel like hosting a forum movie night let me know!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version