Author Topic: Bob Carver / Emotiva  (Read 19526 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: Bob Carver / Emotiva
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
Well said MasterBlaster. It's no secret that I've had a tiff or 2 with another member here. It either blows over or someone apologizes (yes I've done that) and we agree to disagree, but on friendly terms.

bmwr75

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
This is a community made up of different personalities; where some are laid back, some are comical, some are direct, some are sarcastic, some are sensitive and some pedantic etc.

And some are just plain ole dickheads.   >:D

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »

And some are just plain ole dickheads.   >:D
[/quote]

Another good point. LOL

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
Still think this criticism of CV speakers is not based on sound data (see what I did there?). 

And Bathory: apologies for us being us - we can be a bit dysfunctional,  but that is part of the charm of this group - please don't take it personally. I have met Papabearjew,  for example,  and he is a decent human being in person.   

I would stay away from me though...  I give Mexicans  a bad rep. 

^-^

OBG

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
I'd rather be a dickhead than an asshole.  :laugh:
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
Bathory is listening through Cerwin-Vega D9s, which are not the most resolving speakers, but more of a rock and roll speaker.....not that there is anything wrong with that.  However, D9s are 101 dB efficient, so don't require much amp power to achieve deafening levels.  See the specification sheet below:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100203

All reworked crossovers, air core, better capacitors, resistors, silver and copper wire throughout. Both mids sealed.  And new 139 oz. magnets on the custom made woofers. They are a supercharged version of d-9's and are amazing.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 10:10:18 PM »
I should have incorporated the Vifa tweeter when I did this, but they won't handle the power. They sound amazing, way better than stock.  I have 2 pair, 1 stock, and then my supercharged ones I helped make.  And yes the xpa 1's really bring them alive. The rotel rb1090 sounded a bit better in the low end, but was plagued with inrush current problems and on the last time Sparks and a nice 3 inch blue flash blew out of the top of the amp. I no longer have it. Went QSC until I saved and had the cash, then noticed the emotiva special Ed mono's st Jude edition. I will also s at the sunfire 600 sig, still sounds better.  I don't have the gen 2 version, so maybe they sound better than my gen 1 versions.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

All reworked crossovers, air core, better capacitors, resistors, silver and copper wire throughout. Both mids sealed.  And new 139 oz. magnets on the custom made woofers. They are a supercharged version of d-9's and are amazing.

I surmise these modded D-9s are not your normal CVs and must sound pretty sweet. 

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
Yes they do sound much better. Used way better parts on the crossovers, they opened up like crazy. Bass not as boomy due to a much larger magnet and thicker surround.
Midrange is actually very very good now, great separation of the instruments. But the same tweeter which is not bad, but if you know d9's not the greatest.
  They took several hundred hours to really blossom, as about %90 of the caps/ resistors/ coils in xovers were all new much higher quality parts.  I am very happy with them. They are stupid loud. But dont seem to have fatigue,as they are so much better sounding and not as bright on loud music. Mostly metal.  Sodom, celtic frost, venom, raven, tank etc etc! My new energy rc-70's are extremely wicked sounding, i could not be happier, they replaced ........ahem...cough.. Bic dv-84's. So from a extremely bright speaker to the much warmer rc-70 is quite the change. But waaaay less fatigue when listening.

I must say the bic's are very good speakers. They took a long time to break in the tweeter, but do sound great. If they had had a midrange, nothing would touch its sound quality imho, even at the 5000 range. But with 2 8" and tweeter and 2 8" passives. And for 250 pair shipped. What do you expect. I know they use all vifa drivers which are great. If they only had a midrange, i would be hard pressed to find a better speaker, ever

bearjew

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 03:24:16 PM »
Yes they do sound much better. Used way better parts on the crossovers, they opened up like crazy. Bass not as boomy due to a much larger magnet and thicker surround.
Midrange is actually very very good now, great separation of the instruments. But the same tweeter which is not bad, but if you know d9's not the greatest.
  They took several hundred hours to really blossom, as about %90 of the caps/ resistors/ coils in xovers were all new much higher quality parts.  I am very happy with them. They are stupid loud. But dont seem to have fatigue,as they are so much better sounding and not as bright on loud music. Mostly metal.  Sodom, celtic frost, venom, raven, tank etc etc! My new energy rc-70's are extremely wicked sounding, i could not be happier, they replaced ........ahem...cough.. Bic dv-84's. So from a extremely bright speaker to the much warmer rc-70 is quite the change. But waaaay less fatigue when listening.

I must say the bic's are very good speakers. They took a long time to break in the tweeter, but do sound great. If they had had a midrange, nothing would touch its sound quality imho, even at the 5000 range. But with 2 8" and tweeter and 2 8" passives. And for 250 pair shipped. What do you expect. I know they use all vifa drivers which are great. If they only had a midrange, i would be hard pressed to find a better speaker, ever

Celtic Frost is f**king awesome.  I met them back in 2006 when they toured for Monotheist.  Incredible performance.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:09 PM »

Celtic Frost is f**king awesome.  I met them back in 2006 when they toured for Monotheist.  Incredible performance.

Me too. Killer band. Met em in chicago. I think lamb of god opened. If i remember correctly.

bearjew

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2015, 07:11:59 AM »
Me too. Killer band. Met em in chicago. I think lamb of god opened. If i remember correctly.

Saw Lamb of God in 2004 when they were still good.  Went to their concert about a year ago to see Testament, but left before Lamb of God got on stage.