Author Topic: Noob... one letter shy of "boob"  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Mad Dog

• FNG !!!
Noob... one letter shy of "boob"
« on: August 22, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

I know it's proper etiquette to offer an introduction before I start randomly posting nonsense and annoying the regulars. I've been lurking on here for a couple of days picking up info on tube amplifiers. I've been thinking about going this route for a while so I can get that rich sound out of my vinyl records. In my research I realized that getting one of the newer tube amplifers on the market is at the dollar level of unobtanioum, so I figured I'd look for something vintage and then spend a equal amount or greater tweaking it and tuning it to my liking. I'm new to electronics, but in doing some research, this stuff doesn't seem too far beyond my skillset, I mean, I've changed electrical outlets before. I can fathom most of what people are talking about when it comes to repairs, and some of the schematics I've looked at aren't at a Stephen Hawking reading level.  I'm not sure what brand I'm going to settle on, but the Dynaco line intrigues me. Seems there are a lot of them out there and a lot of upgrade parts available... at least that's what E-Bay is seducing me with.

Brendan

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Noob... one letter shy of "boob"
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
IMHO, start with a console pull.   Nice sound for very little investment and if you screw it up on a newb error, it's not much of a loss.   Some of the kits are also a good way to go.   I have a Magnavox 8802 which is way too small a working space for my ham fisted soldering, so I plan to use the iron to make a Budgie SE.

http://www.parksaudiollc.com/budgiese.html

$40 for the PCB and lots of free tech support.   With my free iron, I should be able to do the whole project for under $100.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum Brendan.  There are plenty of folks here with a lot of audio knowledge.

Mmmm....boooobs....   :laugh:

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
Welcome, Brendan.
I'm all solid state, but have been toying with the idea of a dynaco ST'70 just to see what all the hype is.
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »
Sup?

Offline Mad Dog

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:44:24 AM »
Thanks for the lead, Sir Thrift, I'll start looking at these. I'm guessing your set isn't still in the original console. I'm curios if people are still using the turntables in those. Am I correct in assuming there are upgraded needle cartridge assemblies for these?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
I'm curios if people are still using the turntables in those.

Yes.

For target practice.  >:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 05:08:19 AM »
What he said.   Making a new cabinet is part of the fun and I would never put one of my beloved records on one of those vinyl grinders.

Offline Mad Dog

• FNG !!!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 05:22:48 AM »
I pretty much figured that, but wasn't sure if there were newer cartridges that didn't chisel through records. I mean, what do the diehard, truesit, Magnavox console guys that I was warned about do?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
I pretty much figured that, but wasn't sure if there were newer cartridges that didn't chisel through records. I mean, what do the diehard, truesit, Magnavox console guys that I was warned about do?

Whine about people like me.  >:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »

Even with a new cartridge, you still have about 8 grams tracking weight and no anti skate.   Worse yet are the ones that have the little button that pops out of the platter to sense record size.   I can't even tell you how many otherwise nice thrift store records I've had to pass on because of a wear ring from that stupid button.

Offline Mad Dog

• FNG !!!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »
Well, might as well get both feet wet and that means a console for each foot. I connected with a guy I know who is into vintage electronics (I never new this) and is moving. He was willing to unload a couple of consoles as long as they were going to be used by someone who appreciated them. Well, that would be me. One is a  1939 Stromberg Carlson model 950 the other is a 1953 Zenith home entertainment center with a black and white TV.

He had already moved the chassis and TV parts to his new place to repair them, so I have the empty consoles to revive. Both are in very good condition. The veneer is intact, but they do have the typical scratches, but no large gouges. They won't be museum quality pieces, but should clean up quite well.

I really like the Stromberg. I cant wait to to hear the fury of sound as it winds through the "sound labyrinth"!