Author Topic: Record storage units  (Read 8831 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Record storage units
« on: October 13, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
I either have a record acquiring issue or a storage issue. Opinions vary, but that's a domestic argument for another time…

Not so long ago everything fit in the compartment on top. When that got filled up I cobbled together the bottom shelves. I quickly learned that bookcase style storage was not for me. I like flipping more than pulling out and fighting with plastic covers. So I removed the two shelves (the non stained evidence is still there), put one shelf in the middle and ripped the other for the vertical front. Started putting records back in and quickly found it's not anywhere deep enough to store what I have, or provide room for new acquisitions. Next couple of weeks I plan to construct one about 6" deeper, 4 bins across and 3 tall. My excellent math skills says that should fit the corner of the room perfectly.

I remember seeing one at the old shop, which looked like the famous storage bin using one 4' x 8' sheet. Interested to see what others have for storage. Good, bad, or ugly.

I probably should have staged better albums in the front for the pic

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Re: Record storage units
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
I need some better record storage.  I have a great analog rig and am licking the records because up until very recently I had 0 record storage.  Now I have some more which I plan to fill but what you have seems to be more what I want.  That and a record cleaner!  :P
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
I built a crude record cleaner using a flooded out turntable, piping, hockey puck, section of kitchen counter top, scrap wood, and a edge vacuum tool. Ain't pretty, but cleans them up.

Anders

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
I need parts to rebuild my VPI 16.5.
Haven't used it in years and it smells like mold.
Particle board has puckered.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:36 AM »
I really like your storage rack, it's like a mini record store right in your living room, super cool.  Most storage I'v seen/owned holds the sleeve so that you're looking at the spine, and as we all know the spine printing is either beat, or hard to see/read when next to 500 others. Jealous

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:24 AM »
I'm using both trunks and ikea units.... the trunks allow for about 200 albums and store them in two rows front facing.... the ikea unit is edge front...

trunks (actual pics from my house)
http://www.mystoragetrunks.com/record-album-storage-trunk/

ikea:
BESTA under frame IKEA $35.00
BESTA shelf unit $35.00
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
I really like your storage rack, it's like a mini record store right in your living room, super cool.  Most storage I'v seen/owned holds the sleeve so that you're looking at the spine, and as we all know the spine printing is either beat, or hard to see/read when next to 500 others. Jealous

I am sure mine is not a unique skill, but, after so many years,  I am very adept at recognizing LPs by the spine.  Keeping them reasonably organized by genre and alphabetized by artist is probably 99% of it.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »
As long as I don't move mine from where they are, I can usually find what I want.  If ever they are rearranged, I will be lost.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »
Usually I dont have trouble finding stuff (unless my roomate is wasted and putting stuff back completely out of order).  But I just like how you can "leaf' through the records like at a store.  Theres just something about it, i dont know what.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »
I use a vintage record storage cabinet made by Lane furniture company. It's from the Acclaim series.

I keep most of the albums in a rack in the closet and pull out the ones I am currently listening to and store them in here.

Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Rockman Rock

• Double Secret Probation!
  • How about a taxi grab.....
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »
Under current contract I can only have 350 records in the living room. I built this two piece record bin which holds about 300. Numerous large dowel pins secure top to bottom. Not that I’d carry either section with LP’s in it.  It’s just easier to move around in two sections when empty. Some heavy duty caster/fixed wheels allow easy movement when cleaning/re-arranging room.

I also have 10 record crates from the container store. (Pic snagged from web).

I’ve also got one of them small Discwasher DiscKeeper racks I keep my demo LP’s in.

Salk SoundScape 8's / Audio Research Reference 3 / Bottlehead Eros Phono / Krell KSA-250 / diy Lenco w/AA MG-1 arm / diy Dual Mono Buffalo III DAC / Denon 3910 I2S/DSD out mod / SB Touch 12S out mod / diy Cinemag SUT

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 12:54:53 AM »

I don't have many LP's so a magazine rack works for me.
[SMG id=646]
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Anders

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 05:41:38 AM »
I only have around 5000 LPs all in expedits.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »
I am sure mine is not a unique skill, but, after so many years,  I am very adept at recognizing LPs by the spine.  Keeping them reasonably organized by genre and alphabetized by artist is probably 99% of it.

I can recognize some of them, others are beat or skinny. Then there's the issue of me pulling to a bunch of different records and then putting them back somewhere else. I don't alphabetize, I'm rebelling against my OCD. Half my albums have poly sleeves which makes it tougher to identify the spine. The sleeves never seem to stay on the jacket completely, leaving an inch of the sleeve flapping about. Last issue is I'm 6'7" and having to squat down is just killing my knees and a general pain anymore.

I've drafted out a new design. Going to take awhile to get done, my father in law has the wood at work and loves to do this kind of thing so it's up to when he gets it done. The space I have is 55 1/2" wide which will fit 4 front facing albums. Going three high with a shelf above for some overflow. The wife approved, but I think it's a trap.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
Built this unit about a year ago. I like to listen with the lights dimmed and it was too tough to find much of anything without going all the way across the room to raise the lights. I had a strip of LED lights in the bed of my truck. I didn't care for how they were strung so I removed them and replaced them with a new strip. Seeing as I can't let anything go to waste, figured I'd use them for the storage unit. Grabbed an old 9v and 12 v transformer and went to work. The 12v was a bit too bright so the 9v won out.

With the lights dimmed:

Still deciding what to use for separators. The cardboard strips are functional, just not very elegant.