Author Topic: The importance of component matching  (Read 7620 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Re: The importance of component matching
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 02:35:11 PM »
Got STaL's Heresy's hooked up. Loudest speaker I've had in this house on the 10w tubes. Night and day difference between these and the Tangents. Put about five records through them. Heard new things on Wish You Were Here I haven't heard before. They have soundstage, very nice front to back depth, and are seemingly transparent in the room. I did find that turning my sub on helped fill things out. The sub isn't necessary, but for loud listening I like it on. These are still a bit on the bright side. Picked up a new, sealed Savoy Brown Make Me Sweat for 4.99…bright bright bright, but I attribute that to the late 80's recording style. Hope to get time to run a bunch of variety through them

Now that I've had a short listen to these I'm curious how some of you would compare them to Forte's or perhaps Chorus's

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »
I've never owned Fortes or Choruses, but if you think those are loud you need to check out LaScalas or K-Horns.   In my AV Dept in college we monitored with LaScalas, and you could drive them to very comfortable listening levels with the headphone jack on a cassette Walkman.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »
I've never owned Fortes or Choruses, but if you think those are loud you need to check out LaScalas or K-Horns.   In my AV Dept in college we monitored with LaScalas, and you could drive them to very comfortable listening levels with the headphone jack on a cassette Walkman.

The La Scala is 104 dB @ 1w / 1m. The Chorus is 101 dB @ 1w / 1m. A Chorus with 2 watts of input program will play as loudly as a La Scala with 1 watt of input program.

A K-Horn is 105 dB @ 1w / 1m. You'd need to put somewhere in the ballpark of 3 watts into a Chorus to make it play as loud as a K-Horn with 1 watt of input program.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
In other words my monster 10 watts will implode ear drums? Hehe. I normally don't have a chance to play loud. Sitting on the couch about 6' away from each speaker, volume knob at 50% my phone gives an average of 88db for whatever that's worth. My ears tell me it's loud enough.

My wife is pretty patient. However, I don't think she's LaScala patient.

Playing around with the Heresys and the .28 input vs .7, .28 seems to tame the highs nicely.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
Don't get too used to them.   I miss them already (but am having fun with the Tangents).

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
They are fun little speakers, but lack the full spectrum generosity of floorstanding Klipsch speakers.

Having recently changed the old AlNiCo tweeters in my Cornwalls to Crites CT-125s, I was thinking perhaps I'd slap the old tweeters into the Heresys.  The match of the Heresys with 'mellower' tweets and the Maggie 8800 amp might provide the ultimate mid range sweetness for the jazz I listen to most.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »
Which tweeters are in your Hereseys?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »
Oh, and scorpio has the right idea about using his sub with them.   That combo does give "full spectrum generosity".   (A very compelling terminology, BTW.)

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:02 AM »
My Heresys had/have ceramic K-77-Ms, vs the AlNiCo K-77s in the Cornwall.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9