Author Topic: audacity do you use it  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
audacity do you use it
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
anybody use this to convert your vinyl to digital, I tried it before with moderate success, albeit with a cheapie usb tt, is there a version that is compatible with windows 8.1 that any ones using. since I'm listening to my old lps, thought I might try to convert a few.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
Re: audacity do you use it
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
Just tried the media exchange board for the first time, so I presume you guys use audacity or something like it. Should've looked here first, admin feel free to delete my op.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:26 PM »
I use Adobe Audition.   The spectral view is invaluable for doing repairs.   I use the dithering in iZotope RX.   If you don't have access to pro programs, Sox for Foobar is an excellent free dithering algorithm.

I also found an automated declicker that I like and it is super inexpensive.   It is called ClickRepair.   If you don't buy any wave editor and go with Audacity, still check out CR.  It saves a ton of time in clean up.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:58:51 PM »
Oh, and I'm still on Win7, so I can't help you with the compatibility questions.

bearjew

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »
i have used audacity before, but it has been many years.  the thing about it that i remember being a nightmare was ANYTHING after hitting the record and stop button.  i could record just fine, but it did not want to cooperate in any way when it came to editing.  Thrifty uses Audition, which is solid software, and I use Magix Samplitude, which is what I learned on.  I think you're goign to be better off using a little bit better software.  I don't know if Sound Forge still exists, but I remember it being pretty simple for the most part, even though it's made by Sony, and they're the devil.  Audition is a good one too, even though I have little to no experience with it.  When it comes to audio quality, I can't speak for Audacity because I used it in high school, and back then I just thought it was cool that i could use a microphone and record to my computer.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
One thing with Audacity is that if you are going to record at high res, you have to be very careful with the set-up.   There is a well documented bug where it records at 24 bit, but doesn't properly "talk to" the soundcard, so the card itself only outputs 16 bit.   So instead of having a true 24 bit file, you have 16 bits of info and 88 bits of padded zeros.

Google it.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »
Oh, and this is slightly irrelevant, but I also have a ProTools set up for multi-tracking, but it's not great for doing needledrops.

bearjew

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
Oh, and this is slightly irrelevant, but I also have a ProTools set up for multi-tracking, but it's not great for doing needledrops.

it's not great for anything.  that shit gives me the biggest headache.  i cry every time i have to install/use it.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
I love ProTools for multi tracking.   I also find it's DINR to be the most transparent noise reduction available.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

bearjew

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
^that would probably be the most affordable solution

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Price is back up to $44 now. Still not too bad I guess.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Anders

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
I use sound forge 11.