Author Topic: TFM-15CB  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
TFM-15CB
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »
So, I'm finding very little info on the net.   Do any of you guys have experience with this amp?   I picked it up at the GW today for $5.   I haven't hooked it into a system yet, but I only got 0.4 mV left channel and 0.2 mV right channel.   So either it isn't functioning or it is functioning really well.   Plus, I heard some hum coming off the amp when I powered it on, so I am very suspect.   The meters light up and sure look cool.

I will post back when I've tested it and look forward to the impressions of owners/users.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: TFM-15CB
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »
I did find this one link where the guy details mods he did.   Does this look like good ideas or bunk?

http://www.adpslab.com/en/audio/upgrades/15-carver-tfm-15.html

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
With the amp powered on and no input signal your measured values are superb.  No DC offset...hopefully.  Is the hum mechanical? Cabinet vibrating?  Maybe its a loose transformer or some other metal chassis component. If you have a set of junk/test speakers go for it.  If you don't I can loan you a pair.

But...as you said...it either completely dead or it has superb DC offset specs. 

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
Looks pretty good, I think, can't comment as to the mods/ upgrades. Hope it works out well for you.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »
And the verdict is...

Dead.   Completely and utterly dead.   The meter lights and hum are still the only signs of life.   Still, for $5, with an obvious hum, this might be a good learner unit to clean relays and look for obvious issues.   If I can't find it, I hear there are some folks nearby who are pretty good with Carver stuff.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
BTW, I have more sets of junk speakers than any sane person should, but thanks anyway.

Offline AdamG

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
Should be a fun project. Can you describe the hum better just saying a hum? I'm guessing you can't hear the relays click? They don't really need cleaned, but if they don't click when you start it up then that means that they aren't getting the proper voltage to them. Probably something bad in the power supply, causing draw on that transformer which is why it's buzzing (guess). There may be fuses internally also, easy to check.

Offline AdamG

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
Note: If the fuses are blown, there's often a reason! Often that reason is cause something is messed up! Or someone had too much fun with the volume knob and then tossed the unit when it gave out. Do not just jump the fuse holder or your repair can get much more complicated aka expensive. Put the same value or a lower value fuse in if that's the direction you need to go.